Sign in to follow this  
pt447

What's drinking?

I'd say hello again, but nobody could possibly remember me.

I've been away so long it's actually strange to think about it. In fact, I haven't even enjoyed absinthe for several years. My collection has sat quietly through a move, and into the back of a closet, where it's sat forgotten until recently.

Actually stopped to look through my collection not too long ago and got the twinge of nostalgia. I'm thinking of seeing what has developed in the world of absinthe since I've been out of the loop, and again, that's a long while.

What's new in the absinthe world recently. What's everyone's top brand at the moment? What should I consider picking up?

What's five years between casual online acquaintances? ;) Welcome back. :cheers:

Thanks! I can't believe it's been 5 years. I actually just read through all 12 (TWELVE!!!) of the reviews I wrote. Boy was that some horrible writing...

It's so strange thinking how into absinthe I was, as well as how much I loved spending time here. It feels like a life ago, and in many ways, it has been!

Meadow of Love by Delaware Phoenix and Redux Absinthe by Golden Moon Distillery are our two current favorites. Hope this helps. :cheerz:

I still have my bottle of MOL I bought soon after it was first produced. Can't wait to taste it again after all this time. I want to get a bottle of WW again, since that was so exceptional back then. I'll have to look into Redux. How old is it?

Well I remember you. Welcome back. I just tasted MoL, Sauvage, and L'Ancienne 2011 and 2014 side by each (that, for our brothers north of the border) the other night. I haven't been drinking absinthe as regularly as when you used to be here, however lately, each time I re-visit it, I find I am still extremely charmed and intrigued by it.

I was unexpectedly asked by a local restaurant professional the other day if I would conduct a tasting of absinthe in a few days for her birthday at the first dedicated cocktail bar in our market. She especially wanted a fountain there. Mine, unfortunately, was broken in a freak domino style accident about a year ago. But this is what it took to get me off my arse and get to my accessory guru (who happens to be right here in CT and is a terrific guy, BTW) and get my fountain fixed. And waddaya know... I picked up a second. My senses tell me there's a new emerging wave of interest in our beloved beverage and I want to be prepared for the educational action that is likely to ensue.

It would be pretty interesting if I ended up having my interest piqued again around the same time as a flourish of interest from the drinking culture. Maybe something small and green and with wings was whispering in my ear...