Sign in to follow this  
Defiant

Hello from Mt. Defiance

My name is Peter Ahlf, and I live in Washington, D.C. I am the distiller at Mt. Defiance Cidery & Distillery in Middleburg, VA. One of my products is absinthe, which I have been making for about a year. We are seriously small batch – I’m on batch 14 already!

I was fortunate to run into a few people early on that have helped me immensely. Most of the folks on this forum know Kirk. As I was looking for ingredients early on I was happy to learn that the best absinthe herb grower in the country lives 5 hours drive from my distillery. With the exception of a small quantity of herbs I grow myself, I buy all of my herbs from Kirk. He’s also given me moral and technical support.

Within days of announcing the release of our first batch of absinthe on Facebook, Brian stopped by to give it a try. More good news – the Review Editor of the Wormwood Society lives about 15 miles up the road from the distillery! Brian has also been a great help, speaking at a release party in an absinthe bar in DC, introducing me to retailers who have an interest in absinthe, and reviewing our product on this forum.

So it’s about time I got more involved with the absinthe community. I’m happy to be on board. If anyone on these forums lives nearby or is visiting, drop me a line and I’ll show you our facility and we can talk absinthe. I’m also looking for nearby tasting “experts” to give me feedback on new formulas. I’m thinking of getting a group together once or twice a year to test ideas out. There’s a lot of knowledge out there that I’d love to tap into. Cheers.