Sign in to follow this  
travis453

Absinthe and.., Hot Chocolate?

Couldn't decide tonight whether I wanted a glass of absinthe or hot chocolate... So like any indecisive person, I decided to combine. After verifying that it is even a drink (according to the little green book of absinthe), I tried my best to make it drinkable.

While it isn't great, it is stomachable and seems like it has potential!

I used 5 parts milk, Williams Sonoma classic hot chocolate mix, and just over half a part Jade NO (added after heating).

I think it would be better with a little less absinthe. The little green book called for 8oz hot chocolate 1oz absinthe, so I did my best with the size cup I was using.

Has anyone else tried this?? Any suggestions??

A friend of mine goes to Tuscany every year,and brings me back some absinthe flavored dark chocolate candy.You might like a good blanche added to the eggnog this holiday.I like to grate a little nutmeg on top. :holiday:

Edited by redwun

I love absinthe in hot winter drinks. For hot chocolate, when I can't be bothered to make my own from cocoa powder, I just use Swiss Miss. A dash of absinthe will suffice. If you want to kick the proof up a notch, add some rum. ;)

Try this:

SALUT SOLEIL
• 1 oz Gold Rum
• 1⁄4 oz Marteau Absinthe
• 1⁄4 oz Cointreau
• 1⁄4 oz Creme de Noyaux (or 1/2 oz orgeat)
• Cream to taste (optional)
Add to 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee. Stir. Enjoy.

A bar/restaurant in my hometown did this with a chartreuse soaked marshmallow on top, back when they had a decent head bartender. Unfortunately for them and fortunately for me he moved on to do his own thing and had me advise him on absinthe.

The absinthe can be overpowering if not tamed, just like any cocktail use for absinthe.

Sounds like a recipe I may have to try Gwydion! Or at least make a bartender make me haha! Thanks for sharing it!

For tonight though, it is beer. Nothing brings in the holidays like a St. Bernardus imo!