Sign in to follow this  
SgtDubie

Absinthe newbie from manitoba

Well, recently I made an impulse buy at the liquor store, and picked myself up a bottle of Absente - absinthe refined. I was curious as to what absinthe tasted like, and completely uneducated. I poured a little into a shot glass, examined it, and decided to try that little bit before heading back out the door... What a mistake. Straight up like that it tasted like sambuca had a three way with some rubbing alcohol and bad herbal tea, and absinthe was the bastard child that was born...

I began the. To search around about proper preparation, what makes a good absinthe etc. And came across this page. Well, now I was disappointed in my purchase. I had no idea absante is considered a low grade absinthe at best, and not a real absinthe by many... But I have boughten it, opened it, I figured I should at least give it another chance. Last night I made a glass with water. Wow, what a difference. It tasted pretty good. Now I'm thinking, if that is on the low end of absinthe like drinks, I can't wait to get my hands on a real bottle. Well, if I can find some in Manitoba...

Anyway, popping in to give my manditory introduction, and de-lurk from your website.

Well, I just discovered a Canadian distillery in the okanogan valley has a brand of absinthe called taboo. After reading some reviews here, I decided to order a couple bottles and some vodka. At $140 for three bottles shipped I figured it was worth a chance.

Well, I just discovered a Canadian distillery in the okanogan valley has a brand of absinthe called taboo. After reading some reviews here, I decided to order a couple bottles and some vodka. At $140 for three bottles shipped I figured it was worth a chance.

I remember enjoying Taboo from Canada. I thought the fruit base worked very nicely. :cheers: