stardust

Slipstream absinthe fountain glass pipe

Apologies if there has already been a post about this, but I wonder if anyone has had any experience with the Slipstream absinthe fountain glass pipe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6Y9R5W?keywords=absinthe%20spoon&qid=1447967581&ref_=sr_1_26&s=kitchen&sr=1-26

It looks intriguing, but I wonder if the absinthe drinking experience is comparable to a traditional glass + spoon + dripper.

Thoughts?

Drink absinthe like you would drink wine.

The pipes have a pretty visual appeal, but they interfere with the natural process of drinking. Pay attention to how the parts of your mouth, your nose, and your breathing all work together when drinking from a glass: when you inhale, how you pull the liquid into your mouth, when you exhale. Note that you aren't simply pouring a liquid into your face-hole.*

The gustatory experience—the way tasting actually works—is in the inhaling (through the mouth and nose) of the fragrances, as the air and drink mix on the palate and register on the olfactory organs in the post-nasal area. Sucking a drink through a straw has never been a preferred method of drinking fine beverages and is probably best reserved for convenience, such as avoiding smeared lipstick.

The only reason absinthe gimmicks gain popularity is that the general public is still largely ignorant of absinthe and the fact that it's only a drink. Those who are disinclined to research for themselves will blindly follow anyone they perceive to know more than they do about it. Most of these folks are dilettantes who will do whatever makes them seem more interesting.

That's why I now downplay the ritualization of absinthe preparation and no longer use the term "ritual". It's no more of a ritual than making a cup of tea, to which it is actually very similar.

*Be careful not to drown yourself. Self-conscious micro-examination of learned reflexive actions can sometimes make them fail. Like paying attention to how running or walking works.

There have been a few absinthe pipe designs over the past few years, all are modern and there is no historical use of drinking pipes with absinthe. The slipstream variation does a better job than the old ones and looks cool when louching but I still have a few problems with them.

There's a lack of aromatics due to the way it is designed.

After louching there is still some straight absinthe that works its way into the straw. Unless you know to blow in before taking a sip you could fry out your tastebuds on the first sip of high ABV alcohol. Explaining this makes its use in bars not any easier than explaining traditional methods.

If you enjoy your absinthe slowly and let the ice melt, then the absinthe gets too diluted and weak towards the end.

It's really hard to not make a drug inference from the design. I know this isn't the designers intention but it still looks drug like.

Speaking strictly for myself that does not interest me. In large measure what attracted me to absinthe in the first place was the rich cultural history and tradition that surrounded it. None of that includes this newly cooked up gizmo.

Edited by Amy Lewis

It's really hard to not make a drug inference from the design. I know this isn't the designers intention but it still looks drug like.

Yes it does, and the design is intentional in that regard, the intention being to trade on the undeserved bad reputation of absinthe as generated by the smear campaign of the French wine industry against it pursuant to the ban. So... that really IS the designer's intention. It does not serve as any sort of ideal means of consuming absinthe which was covered quite well by the means we have from the Belle Epoch, but rather it seeks to make absinthe a part of popular drug culture based on the smear campaign against it.

Wanna get high? Wanna hallucinate? Use this and put absinthe in it!

Moreover, it doesn't even have to be real absinthe, I'm quite sure they can light a sugar cube on it too.

Heh, that's what I get for trying to play nice.

You are correct Amy. Bars that light absinthe on fire might use these pipes to stop, but only because it still looks "edgy". In this sense it's still playing into the hands of bullshit myths.

I'd also say regarding the aromatics issue, that without correct function it will be impossible to truly reach correct perception. If it functioned properly then it might lead to education but without being able to hold an even ABV and display aromatics, the destination is always lost.

Thank you Evan, and ya know, that thing sure does look like drug paraphernalia to me. Bet they sell it in head shops. They posted it on Google+ absinthe. I guess they are doing their best to promote it.

Not going to lie I saw a Black Friday deal on the Slipstream and bought one. I was curious more than anything. I have to say i was impressed with the louche. I much prefer drinking out of a regular absinthe glass but the experience was cool just watching everything take place. I calculated the weight of the ice plus water to ensure after the ice had melted the ratios were not off as well as blew in the mouth piece before getting a first gulp of 100% Absinth.

I prefer my fountain but in all honesty this was quicker and easier (more fun for me) having a single glass. Might all change with my balancer dripper that is also on the way. Is the best way to link a video to the forums to upload to dropbox then link? I took a video an can provide it if anyone is interested. I got mine shipped for $30 which was reasonable. I don't think i would buy it for $50 or whatever the regular rate is.

Looking for a replacement fountain and stumbled on these.  I wouldn't want to make it my primary dispenser, but I can't deny that it appeals to my inner edgy teenage goth kid.  My question for anyone that's used one is how does it end up tasting?  Not just from the lack of aromatics, but from the fact that you can't really mix this one properly?  It looks like you'd be sucking the undiluted absinthe from the bottom of the glass followed by absinthe-flavored sugar water.  Any thoughts on this?

11 hours ago, Derp said:

......  It looks like you'd be sucking the undiluted absinthe from the bottom of the glass followed by absinthe-flavored sugar water.  Any thoughts on this?

as a solution, eventually it will equalize. 

On 11/19/2015 at 3:35 PM, Gwydion Stone said:

Drink absinthe like you would drink wine....(.edit)

The gustatory experience—the way tasting actually works—is in the inhaling (through the mouth and nose) of the fragrances, as the air and drink mix on the palate and register on the olfactory organs in the post-nasal area. Sucking a drink through a straw has never been a preferred method of drinking fine beverages....(edit)

What the man in the hat said.  That is the reason I never bought one, even though I they look like fun to watch.