Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyO

Marteau question

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Marteau Belle Epoque. Before this got a bottle of La Clandestine, and Leopold Brothers. So far my experience with absinthes are a light peridot green and a dark and thick white louche...

My bottle of marteau is dark green, almost brownish green, which may or may not be normal, but my louche was extremely weak and thin, I could see through the glass which normally I cannot.

Pre-louche: http://i.imgur.com/QgGvc90.jpg

Louche http://i.imgur.com/2inpl64.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell in the louche photo but you can see its green and you can somewhat see the bubble towards the bottom of the glass.

I did my usually method of pouring cold water from a caraf, somewhat slowly...

there's actually an annoying little iphone video I made of it here (HA! I see yall do not like the l.o.l. phrase...or maybe you like it too much...?)

http://www.magisto.com/int/album/video/OHokXFBOEgQnNj8GDmEwCX17?l=vsm&o=i&c=c

So my questions are, is this color normal? Is this louche normal? Or is it just me? Did I not poor slowly enough or do something odd? Could it be that my bottle (shipped UPS ground and arriving yesterday 11/12) got too cold crossing the US on a truck and now it's 'ruined' similar to placing a bottle in a fridge? If so is it still good, or should I seek a new bottle from the website I got it from?

Edited by JohnnyO

The color is normal for absinthe, but considerably darker and slightly hazy for Marteau, which is usually crystal-clear and bright, and a light peridot hue.

In the interest of full transparency, we had an herb-supply variation with the last batch, and it turned out darker than usual. Fortunately this is just an appearance flaw related to the chlorophyll in the herbs (it was the melissa), and doesn't affect the quality or flavor of the absinthe. I was terribly disappointed when I saw the color, then I tasted a glass and was very pleased with the flavor (and relieved). I apologize, and I promise to always pre-test any herbs from a new supplier in the future. All of us distillers occasionally turn out a batch that doesn't quite come up to our usual standard; after seven years, I guess it was my turn.

As far as the thickness of the louche, that's exactly what I aim for. Louched absinthe should be translucent and opalescent, not opaque.

I did not expect a response directly from the godfather himself :biggrin:

Thank you for clarifying. Despite the color and louche not being quite what I expected, due to my own ignorance, the flavor however was remarkable :thumbup:

Nothing particularly unusual about color variation in absinthe...I've occasionally encountered that dark brownish green in several brands.

I actually like the color, but the flavor is a bit unusual; not what I expected after reading reviews and discussions. Mine has something that I can only describe as "swampy" or "tire rubber" flavor. Sugar helps, but still, not my favorite.

Edited by yasbean