Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyO

Hello from Northern California!

Hello all from Northern California! I am fairly new to absinthes, with my first absinthe being Le Tourment Verte...it was gross, but luckily I found it in a tiny 50ml bottle to sample. My first bottle was Mata Hari, which was ok, but not very good. A few weeks ago I found 50ml bottles of Grande Absente (it was alright, better than Mata Hari), and Grune Fee which was disgusting. I am looking forward to purchasing some good absinthe online soon.

I am quite the connoisseur when it comes to cigars and pipes however, with a 100ct humidor with many cigars around 10yrs old, and some 80 pipes and several pounds of pipe tobacco...I also enjoy a good bourbon and scotch. I've been drinking Four Roses small batch bourbon as much as I drink absinthe. Other than that I spend most of my time doing homework, as I am currently getting my masters degree in Ministry & Leadership at Western Seminary...that's about it for me!

Welcome!

I "started" with LTV and other faux/crapsinthes to start with as well.

There's plenty better out there. Don't avoid Lucid if it's readily available in your area. People talk crap and it's not tip top, but it is way better than what you listed as well as historically accurate. If you like Lucid you might love absinthe. If you don't like Lucid then it might not be the spirit for you. A good novice and starter brand due to its widespread availability.

The local stores have Lucid but I kinda want to go to something better, I picked up a bottle of La Clandestine, and really enjoyed my first blanche. Another store has Leopold Brothers which I might pick up, not sure yet. A store in San Francisco has Jade 1901 but I might as well order online at that point...which leads me to a quick question, I see a lot of Jade and others out of stock, including Marteau...is this simply supply and demand, or is there a 'season' when more absinthe is produced?

I picked up a bottle of La Clandestine, and really enjoyed my first blanche .. I see a lot of Jade and others out of stock, including Marteau...is this simply supply and demand, or is there a 'season' when more absinthe is produced?

Glad you enjoyed La Clandestine.

I don't see any seasonality of absinthe production, but sales peak in October, November and December for most spirits, and some stores might reduce stocks out-of-season.

I think you are describing K & L Wine Merchants who currently show 20 "absinthe" lines in stock and another 37 out-of-stock. In fact, a lot of these are bitters or pastis etc. Leaving those out, they still show a lot of absinthes out-of-stock but I think that is more a matter of K & L's choice. Obsello and Le Tourment Vert are no longer in production.

unfortunately I already paid more at astor wines Luscious Oily Lesbians!, enjoying my first glass right now and have some real questions but I'll move that to another forum