Sign in to follow this  
Leichenwagen

The Thujone Debate Revisted

I'm just pulling your chains there but I do have a real question regarding thujone content. I may be returning back to Canada where some provinces ban the import of spirits that contain more than 10ppm(?) of thujone. How can I find out the thujone content of certain absinthes in my collection so as not to have any absinthes in my collection refused?

Buy a GC-MS machine and test it yourself. Or get a local university student to help you out like I did.

Honestly many distillers (especially European ones) overstate the results for bullshit marketing purposes and I've seen results from government labs that make me wonder if they know how to actually run those machines at all.

I doubt they check the content of the bottles at customs. They probably just seize anything suspect and worry about (forget/drink) it later. You could very well bring a Canadian made absinthe overseas, then try to bring it back and they would likely snag it.

What absinthes do you have, and what province are you returning to?

Well the real question is what will I buy? I will not be bringing any half empty bottles because the damn taxman has to take his 30% of the value. The bottles have to boxed separately from my belongings and sent directly to the Liquor Comission where they are assessed an import tax and then returned to me upon payment. I am going to buy from a European supplier because I have had great service from them. No American company sends to Canada that I'm aware of or I'd stock up on a few bottles of Marteau and some others.

Movement of alcohol is really restrictive in Canada and the last visit to Nova Scotia there were only two brands at the liquor comission ( Grand Absente and Hills or some other Czechzinthe BLECH!). I do have a long kept bottle of Sauvage and Brevan's Austin Osman Spare that must be nearing a decade now. The rest will be new purchases but I've got a list going including Jades, François Guy, A spanish serpis or two or perhaps an NS70 for cheap summer entertaining. A Swiss Bleu or two. Duplais some Echelbergers. I'll probably drop a grand as it will be pretty dry quality absinthe wise up in Canada. By the way, Alan, I only once saw a bottle of Clandestine for sale at a speciality shop in Halifax. Too many liquor laws in Canada so I'd better buy now. If I pack it secretly into my household goods it might get confiscated and then I'd be one sorry fellow. Suggestions?

Just order from absinthes.com when you get there. They ship to Canada and they offer guaranteed delivery, so if anything does happen to the shipment they'll send it again.

Well, I wish I could help you. I'm from Manitoba and just discovered absinthe myself, and I'd like to know if anyone has success smuggling absinthe in through mail order... The government run liquor monopoly and tax scene is so bad here I've taken to just making my own beer and wine, and bringing 40 oz bottles of liquor back from the states for less than the price of a Mickey at the local stores...