Sign in to follow this  
drdaniel5

Cocktail I encountered in Seattle, the “Golden Grasshopper”

So after wandering around the Seattle Art museum forever my family and I decided go to a Sushi restaurant across the street because we were beat and just wanted food. Lo and Behold the food was actually pretty good and cheap but the real memorable thing was their signature cocktail. We had to know how to make it and asked the bartender for the recipe.

The “Golden Grasshopper” has no resemblance to the Crème de menthe nightmare that most people are familiar with, the recipe is as follows:

1.5oz Sake
0.5oz Lillet blanc
0.5oz Lemon Juice
0.5oz Mango Pure (this was sort of hard to find but the internet makes all things available.)

Shake on Ice and then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with a splash of Saint Germain liqueur.

One could just sit and sip these all day if they had the inclination to be honest.

Edited by drdaniel5

Sounds good. Any idea what type of sake they used? Also, if made with good ingredients (say the Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao and Creme de Menthe) the real Grasshopper isn't so bad afterall!

No idea on what Sake was used, we've had good results using $10-$15 Sake so it's a really cheap drink to make.

In regards to a normal Grasshopper, I can't stand the flavor of mint so there's really no hope for me.

I might have to try making one of those. I have a few friends who love sake and I've played with making sake cocktails and punches for them in the past. I would think this could be easily batched.

A pretty chic sushi/Japanese cuisine restaurant in Lafayette called Tsunami has a Sake version of the French 75 called 007. It's pretty good.