Sign in to follow this  
Harlequin

Joe Dante film...WTF?

There is a scene in "Burying My Ex" by Joe Dante where there is a scene in a goth bar. Looks like a goth bar, sounds like one but the absinthe at the bar:

1) Is served with a burning sugar cube and no water

2) The absinthe is in the four spout water fountain

3) It is more of an appletini color and some goth girls say later they got drunk on appletinis and I thought, "Was that what was in the absinthe fountain?"

And of course, the dialogue was about how absinthe will mess you up and make you trip ballz. I love Joe Dante's work, but I would think he would have a fact checker in his crew, since they took the time to get the goth club right. Probably used one that is really in LA, but still.

Edited by Harlequin

, but I would think he would have a fact checker in his crew, since they took the time to get the goth club right. Probably used one that is really in LA, but still.

Here you have a paradox, in order to show a goth club 'right', you have to show absinthe' wrong'. :dry:

Hollywood. Reinforcing misinformation because who gives a fuck?

:poop:

It's not just with absinthe either. There isn't a single movie (or show) I can think of that deals with a psychological phenomenon correctly. The more I hear that "10% of the brain" bullshit the more I think it might actually be true for everyone in the entertainment industry.

Problem is, to everyone but us who frequent this site, Absinthe is not cool enough to portray how it really is.

Its the truth whether one likes it or not.

For me, if it were not for the bathtub scene in "From Hell" I may never have stumbled upon absinthe. Not once was I detered in my quest to find out everything about this drink and not once did i ever do it wrong. I have a good head on my shoulders and so do lots of people who find out about absinthe through mis interpretations and exagerations found in films such as this.

Edited by greytail