Sign in to follow this  
The0Alchemist

Mandatory Introduction

As it is noted many place on this site that an introduction thread is mandatory, here I am introducing myself. Joining this website is a right pain the bum hopefully it'll be worth it. That said I despise mandatory introductory threads, I see them as a waste of time. I'm not really that grouch as this post makes it seem I just really really hate being forced to do this and I am by nature a private person.

Sorry to infringe on your privates. Hopefully, the four sentences you were forced to write wasn't too much of a PITA and didn't take too much time out of your day. For us, it's one of several steps we use to keep this Forum relatively spam-free.

I see them as a waste of time [...] I just really really hate being forced to do this

Hold on there, sparky, no one forced you to do anything. And if you think it's a waste of time, you're only thinking about yourself. We're a community here, and introducing yourself when entering a conversation with strangers is just common courtesy. If some stranger just shows up out of the blue and makes a "Notice me!!" post, it's kind of rude and creepy and makes me want to ask "who the hell are you?". This isn't the comments section on YouTube or Buzzfeed; we value real people, not internet personas.

The name Wormwood Society was chosen carefully. The purpose is to be social and use socially beneficial behavior to elevate the drink we love. If you feel like that's too much to ask, you'll probably be more comfortable somewhere else, or just lurking. If you wish to remain a private person, why join a Society?

I see it as being forced, there are forums one can't see unless they join and several places on this site make it clear that if you wish to freely participate then you have to make an introductory post. If it were suggested and recommended instead of mandatory I'd have been more willing to participate.But it's not just the rules say mandatory but do this or else mandatory. I can't help but wonder if all these hoops promote an inclusive educational society or if it fosters an exclusive old boy's club of like-mindedness.

That said I find your Marteau Absinthe website to be one of the finer websites I've seen for a Liquor brand, easy on the eyes and easy to navigate.

@Songcatecher I like my absinthe in a Sazerac or with ginger ale but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that the easy to acquire brands here are "Lucid" and "Absente: Absinthe Refined". I live in a control state meaning all liquor has to be bought at the state controlled stores. I have only ever seen one other brand that I can't recall the name of but the store only had it in airplane bottles and you had to buy $138 worth of them at a time so I had to pass and not seen them since.

Welcome to the Society.

I can't help but wonder if all these hoops promote an inclusive educational society or if it fosters an exclusive old boy's club of like-mindedness.

Oh don't worry about that, there is plenty of disagreement here. One thing that unites us all is a desire to see absinthe represented correctly and respectfully. The hoops keep out the spammers and the flippant. Yeah it's a little work but if someone isn't willing to invest that little it's obvious how much they also care.

Hello Alchemist and welcome.

Some of the best friends I've met have been from this group. :cheers:

@Songcatecher I like my absinthe in a Sazerac or with ginger ale but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that the easy to acquire brands here are "Lucid" and "Absente: Absinthe Refined". I live in a control state meaning all liquor has to be bought at the state controlled stores. I have only ever seen one other brand that I can't recall the name of but the store only had it in airplane bottles and you had to buy $138 worth of them at a time so I had to pass and not seen them since.

I too live in a control state. We have a lot of craptastic brands here as well.

I once tried a little Vieux Carre in some Cock n' Bull ginger beer, thinking the minty notes from the Vieux Carre would play well with the ginger. I don't think I got the ratios right very well, and didn't really want to research it any further. It wasn't terrible, but it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.

I might have better luck brand-wise if I were to head into a more metropolitan area though even when I have stopped in at the big city store I usually only find the two brands listed above.

Yeah it's a little work but if someone isn't willing to invest that little it's obvious how much they also care.
Kind of my point, who needs a group like this more people who already fired up about absinthe or the curious neophyte who just wants some answers.
Edited by The0Alchemist

I see it as being forced, there are forums one can't see unless they join and several places on this site make it clear that if you wish to freely participate then you have to make an introductory post. If it were suggested and recommended instead of mandatory I'd have been more willing to participate.But it's not just the rules say mandatory but do this or else mandatory. I can't help but wonder if all these hoops promote an inclusive educational society or if it fosters an exclusive old boy's club of like-mindedness.

That said I find your Marteau Absinthe website to be one of the finer websites I've seen for a Liquor brand, easy on the eyes and easy to navigate.

Thanks for your kind words about the Marteau site.

It's only force if you cannot willfully and successfully resist. If you have a chance to say "Screw that, I don't agree with that policy. I'm out of here", you haven't been forced. If you proceed, it's because you've decided that you agree with the terms and conditions of participation.

Most of what's on this site is viewable on the open internet. Upon registering and being validated, all the rest is visible to every member except a few private admin areas for the Advisory Board, Content Team, etc. No intro necessary. We only ask that if you choose to participate in discussions that you make an introduction and tell us a little about yourself first. By screening first posts, we learn a little about the person before letting them come in and post some BS spam about Ray-Ban sunglasses, or ask which absinthe is real and will make them see the green fairy.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Well, I have to say, I feel that I've learned a lot from this thread.

Now, if only someone would tell me, who is that guy in the white hat?

Since I have gone missing for 2 years I feel like I should give a short reintroduction.

Love absinthe, have been drinking it (good and bad), for around 12 years. Live and work in St Louis in the restaurant industry and enjoy it all from food to drink.

Apologies for the brevity.... absinthe makes me all tuckered out.