Martinlest

Jade PF 1901 - Best preparation?

I am new to Absinthe and want to start with something good (or I may never buy more after a bad experience of course!).

I am probably going to buy some Jade PF 1901 - has anyone advice on how to serve it? How much water, sugar for instance. I think this one may need a little less sugar than many for instance?

All down to personal taste, but I'd be interested in comments.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that absinthe. Each absinthe, I think, are loved or hated by someone. I love Pernod, Vieux Pontarlier, or St George. Try them. Enjoy them. Never buy anything with artificial flavor so or colors.... The world of good absinthes is waiting. Enjoy.

Science is indeed wonderful, especially where it becomes Art..

Thanks for the links - I'd already seen the 'Serving Absinthe' page.. the video not, of course (nice!).

My preferred ratio for Jade PF1901 is anywhere from 4.5 to 4.75:1 with sugar (1 cube), but as you say, it all comes down to personal taste.

Edited by EvilAshLives

1901 is a great place to start. I would suggest the traditional pour and I usually stop at 4 parts water. I don't use any sugar but if you have a sweet tooth go for it.

Thanks.. Actually I don't have a sweet tooth at all (I don't take sugar in tea or coffee) so maybe I should leave out the sugar too, first go round, and see how I get on. Am ordering from absintheonline.com...

So, how did it go? 1901 is one of the best absinthes available, btw...I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I would refrain from adding sugar, at least until I tried it without first.

Hi.

I received the bottles last week (1 x 1901 + 1 x 'Esprit d'Edouard'), but I haven't opened them yet! Probably at the weekend.

Will let you know - I'm looking forward to it! :shifty:

Edited by Martinlest

Well, I tried the Edouard... I thought that in the end Absinthe may not be my 'thing', as I am not a great lover of aniseed flavoured drinks, be they French, Greek or whatever.

But I must say I was pretty impressed with the complexity of the stuff - lots of different flavours coming through other than aniseed of course (might as well drink ouzo otherwise!) and those flavours stay on the palate a good long time. Plus the joy of the colour changes/louche as you add the water.

I found, contrary to Pernod, Ricard etc., which I only like strong, one to one (ouzo gives me a queasy stomach, and I lived in Greece for 13 years so had ample chance to get used to it!), I liked the absinthe best with a lot more % ice-cold water, maybe 4 or even 5 to 1. I didn't add sugar at all...

So, final verdict? Well, I am glad I tried it and may well buy more when this lot's finished (it's only a 20cl bottle, for starters). Pity the good stuff is so expensive though!

Edited by Martinlest

Dilution ratio for me also works better with about 4 or 5 to 1. At least when I drink premium absinthes (like Jade 1901 or Nouvelle-Orléans).

Premium absinthes is quite expensive though, but I think you should also try Libertine 72 or perhaps Soixante-Cinq.

I use about 5 to 1 myself.

Yes, I have enjoyed the experience but would not pay these kind of prices again. As I said, although I am impressed by the complexity, at the end of the day aniseed is not one of my favourite flavours! I would perhaps buy a cheaper brand, so may look out for those you mention. Absinthe is certainly well above Ricard and Pastis (let alone Ouzo!) in the list of aperitifs I would spend money on!

Edited by Martinlest

I've tried Jade PF 1901 with and without sugar, and I have to say I prefer it without. The louche is better, the flavor is better. The sugar changes the louche, and it's just a better show without it. In fact, after two glasses without sugar today, CF Berger and Edouard, I think I'll have a 1901 next... sans sucre