Gwydion Stone

Swiss-style Fountains

The Czechsuisse Pyrofontaine. It'll sell like warmcakes.

:laf: Turkey, you're KILLIN' ME! Thank you, Absomphe.

Y'all have got to stop making me giggle like this at work, I'll get in trouble.

Seriously, tho', I love the original rendering by Hiram. 'Tis gorgeous.

*sighs wistfully after a fountain of her own*

- Johanna

It’d be worth it if you could square up the spigot section so that you can use the rubber washers in lieu of gluing them in. I’m suspect of the solvents used in silicone glue and epoxy prevents disassembly.

Also there’s a place in Austin, TX called Clarksville Pottery that might throw you a reasonably priced facsimile or two.

I agree. That's the one part I wish I could have done differently with my fountain. I couldn't get a perfect seal with just the washer, so I had to use epoxy to make it water tight. Kind of sucks knowing I won't be able to ever just swap out the spigots if I should need to.

I'm intrigued by this notion of constructing your own fountain - like I don't have enough projects on my craft table right now!

I don't suppose there's a thread discussing same buried elsewhere on the forum archives? A fountain is on my list of things-to-get but I'm ever a cheapskate (and keen on trying new things!)

*goes off to rummage*

- Johanna

I used a ‘sorta’ square jar for my fountain and measured the amount of drip from less than perfect sealing of the rubber washers at full volume. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that between sloppy drunks, splashing water drops and the definition of ‘wet bar’ itself, I can live with the spigots leak rate and retain the disassembly capability.

I’ve ordered extra brass collar washers from the spigot supplier to see if the extra surface area and lip gains me any added sealing capacity on the inside over a regular brass washer. I also bought some 3/8” o-rings to see if that might gain me an additional seal around the stem when used in conjunction with the large rubber washer. We’ll see. I’m not a big fan of gluing them in if I can help it.

Hiram has the lead on fountain making and can best point you to the appropriate thread. I can no longer remember if it was here or at La Fee Verte.

There are a few threads here in the Gadgets & Gizmos section, and there is a thread at the FV. Hiram is definitely the man to talk to if you have any questions about the process.

WS Thread 1: Link

WS Thread 2: Link

FV Thread: Link

It’d be worth it if you could square up the spigot section so that you can use the rubber washers in lieu of gluing them in.  I’m suspect of the solvents used in silicone glue and epoxy prevents disassembly.
I only use rubber washers—they come with the spigots. I've found that an additional brass washer on the inside makes a good seal most of the time. This surface has a larger diameter than the cookie jar fountain I've posted pictures of in the past, so I'm fairly confident these will work if I can't find better looking ones.
Also there’s a place in Austin, TX called Clarksville Pottery that might throw you a reasonably priced facsimile or two.

Thanks for the tip!

Oh, I love it! Thanks for digging those links up for me!

I don't have the patience/tools for trying to drill glass (ayie!) but y'all have got me thinking about something that's halfway between that and a 2 liter plastic bottle. A person can find some nice plastic jars/bottles in the store... *Hmmmm*

- johanna

As I've been digging around for the past few minutes, I came across this which might not seem entirely ideal as it's only the one outlet, but it's got a seal-able top and I notice that the spigot is removable, for cleaning, which means a person could replace it with something a wee bit more desirable.

Meanwhile, I'm finding quite a few rather aesthetic possibilities in plastic. I've got me a Dremel that can deal with that, just fine. ;)

- Johanna

There is always the $42 Lowes Mouthwash Dispenser + Matching Toothbrush holder option. Just buy them both, and somehow affix (I used epoxy) the toothbrush holder to the bottom of the mouthwash dispenser. (Found the idea somewhere on here.)

Completed Fountain

I need to photograph my own Frankenstein of a fountain, but might add that substituting silicone gasket material seemed to work a lot better for me than the original rubber gaskets/washers that came with the spigots. The silicone gaskets were cut from a short length of 1/2" or perhaps 3/8" silicone tubing.

Drilling glass has not been a problem for me (even with a hand-held drill), but this is probably more a function of the glass container I used than any skill on my part.

Here is an example of the type of drill bit I used.

Drill bit example

The only extra step I included was to drill while running water from the tap over the drill site. If using a corded drill, make sure you don't electrocute yourself!

I don't have the patience/tools for trying to drill glass (ayie!)...

When I made my fountain, I took the container to the local glass shop and I had them drill the holes for me. It cost me $12.50 total (for 4 holes) and some conversation (chatting the guy up about what the fountain was for). Talking to a glass shop might be your best option if you have a piece of glass in mind and really want to use it.

*nod* I followed up another suggestion re: mouthwash dispenser and found a rather nice one online, that had an integral stand built in - so one wouldn't have to epoxy it to anything else to elevate it, although it wasn't a terribly *tall* stand (3", I think) but one could always stack it atop a book or two.

I think I'm going to have me a little wander around "Bed, Bath and Beyond" this weekend, and see what I find there, as they're bound to have scads of things like mouthwash dispensers and I'd rather avoid paying for shipping if I can avoid it. Given that I'm the only person in my immediate environs who'll be drinking absinthe on a regular basis, having but a single spigot is acceptable.

I'll also follow up that suggestion of looking for a glass shop, in case I find a pretty glass jar that I can't live without. But given that I live with cats, plastic might prove the way to go. ;)

Sorry to have hijacked the thread! I'd like to mention that should Hiram have a mockup of the Swiss-style fountain with which the thread kicked off made up, I'd a) love to see it B) would be curious about production costs. ;)

- Johanna

There is always the $42 Lowes Mouthwash Dispenser + Matching Toothbrush holder option.
Daemon, that looks so cool!

Re: mouthwash dispenser I found earlier. I'm back on the laptop again, so I can dig the link up for ya...

Here it is It's quite plain, but that's the sort of style I like. And I like the raised base, too.

- Johanna