Sign in to follow this  
RandyMarshCT

Hello from Southern RI

Hello all, I'm from southern RI. I'm interested in learning more about absinthe. I'm a home brewer and lover of all things spirits related. I was referred here by a member on another forum. I'm planning to do an absinthe sampling in about a month and have been collecting the proper materials and a (hopefully) very good assortment of absinthes for my tasting. I would very much appreciate any advice from the pros here. The attached picture shows what I have accumulated so far for this event. If it is too small, the bottles are:

Villya Spirits Verte (formerly Ridge)

Pernod

Pacifique

Jade Nouvelle Orleans

Walton Waters & Meadow of Love by Deleware Phoenix

Lucid (this is 1/3 of a bottle given to me)

Besides the 1/3 bottle of free Lucid, the rest are new and unopened. I would like to include a blanche, but I am not certain which would be the best to seek. I have read a lot about drinking and making absinthe, but I have no real world experience with the spirit. My plan is to prepare each of these in the traditional method with sugar in a 4:1 ratio, for comparative purposes. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any other bottles that I should absolutely include in this sampling?

Thank you for your help and for having me!

post-4555-0-10996600-1433511045_thumb.jpg

Welcome Randy! Wow - that's quite a start! For the blanche, I'd recommend picking up a bottle of La Clandestine; it'll be the easiest to obtain and is quite good. Instead of sticking with a static ratio for each brand, I'd recommend using the Absinthe Dilution Matrix on this site (http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/216-knowledge-library/general-articles-and-editorials/601-absinthe-dilution-matrix), using the same ratio for each respective proof. Let us know how it goes!

I would like to include a blanche, but I am not certain which would be the best to seek. I have read a lot about drinking and making absinthe, but I have no real world experience with the spirit. My plan is to prepare each of these in the traditional method with sugar in a 4:1 ratio, for comparative purposes.

A blanche might not need any sugar. I also suggest you try them all at a lower ratio (3:1?) and then add a little water until you find your own preferred level with each of them. And rather than trying to taste eight at one time, maybe split into two sessions with four each.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great advice!

Alan, I think your idea is a better approach. It would be easy to add more water if need be.

Also, I hadn't considered the fact that many people may choose to forego the sugar entirely. I, myself, would be interested in sampling each with and without sugar (side by side).

Wow, really good start! Welcome to the boards.

If you like Vilya Verte try their Blanche, it's easily one of my favorites. La Clandestine is awesome as well.

Sugar or no sugar is your choice. Experiment with a few glasses and find what works for you.

Thank you again to everyone for the advice. I had this tasting about 3 weeks ago and it went wonderfully (for a group of people who were all novices). We sampled all 8 bottles, but we made a day of it and spread it all out over 14 hours. I'm not crazy about the Lucid, but I believe that is due to the magnificent quality of all the bottles we sampled. The Jade N.O. stole the show... I am very fond of that bottle. I'd like to purchase another Jade. Drinkupny has the 1901, the Edouard, and the C.F. Berger all on sale for $99/bottle at the moment. I'm leaning toward the 1901, but I'd like to ask if anyone would advise one of the other 2 first. I'd truly love to buy them all, but finances permit only one at the moment.

I'm very glad to have fallen for this spirit considering the amount of money I spent before trying it.