Blackwaterpark

Absinthe newbie from Erie, PA looking to try it for the first time.

Hello all, I'm new here and new to absinthe. I've been wanting to try absinthe for awhile now but I hadn't found it at a local bar and I really do not want to spend $60 on a bottle being I've not tried it before but if i can't find it I will just buy a bottle and hope I like it. My first question is, is there anybody on here that lives around Erie, PA and knows a bar that has absinthe and prepares it correctly? Second question is if I were to buy a bottle what would anybody recommend me to try first? The local liquor store only has two brands in stock Absente Grande and Vieux Carre. Thank you in advance

There's no question, absinthe can be an expensive spirit. Keep checking your local drinking holes but also keep in mind, even the best absinthe can be ruined by poor preparation. Take your time, read reviews and learn as much as you can so you know what what to look for, what to expect and how to treat it. A well informed consumer is our best friend. Soon enough, you'll stumble upon the correct opportunity to enjoy a good glass of absinthe. (Of your two choices listed, definitely go with Vieux Carre)

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the Info Joe, thats very helpful to me being I'm new to absinthe. Thank you to the rest of you for the warm welcomes. I'm hoping someone that lives close to me will help me out and know a bar that has absinthe but I'll probably end up buying a bottle just because i'm very anxious to try it. :biggrin:

You will enjoy your absinthe. At least, I do. I must second the opinion that Verre Carré is the best of the two. i have solicited the help of the manager of my local wine/spirits store and he now offers Pernod, Kübler,Vieux Pontarlier, St George. Good absinthe is relatively expensive. In fact, he has found that the Pernod and the Vieux Pontarlier sell well in this medium sized city with a university. The frat boys mistakenly buy the cheap absinthe probably still under the impression that will they see visions.

My advice: buy the quality absinthe and gradually discover your own preferences. And it never hurts to have two or three absinthes. Also read labels: never buy anything with artificial flavors, added sugar, etc. the absinthe I drink all cost around seventy US dollars. If there's a cheaper one, it's usually cheaper for a reason and not a good one.

To your health.

I can have my local liquor store order Pernod and a few different other absinthe's in for me, I think I'll buy the vieux carre to try first and go from there. I'm sure I'll develop a taste for it, when I first started drinking beer I hated it but I kept drinking it and now I really enjoy it and my favorite style is the most bitter and hoppy tasting of them all, IPA's.

I think you never "develop" a taste for absinthe: it's instinctual, somewhere on the human genome I suspect. That first sight, sip, and it is true appreciation.

Enjoy.

I ended up buying a bottle of Vieux carre, I havnt tried it yet, I'm waiting on a spoon and glasses to be delivered. I will note my experience and thoughts when I finally try it for everyone. Probably will be this weekend. I'm very excited! :thumbup: And again thank you everyone for all your help.

I finally got to try the Vieux carre, I made a traditional absinthe cocktail with sugar and ice water. I enjoyed the drink, it was very easy to drink and I look forward to drinking more! :cheerz:

Welcome! As others have said, Vieux Carre is the clear choice between those two. However do not judge all of absinthe by it as that would almost be like having one vintage/variety of wine and judging all of wine by it. There's a big world waiting for you!