Sign in to follow this  
BenWizard

Hi. I'm new here...

Hello fellow sippers. I have been getting more serious about absinthe lately, it's been a big part of my life for years, but now even more so. I never buy the stuff, but I drink it all the time and try to keep up on the culture, history, and public opinion on the stuff. Hopefully I will be able to learn a lot here from those of you who can afford to and do enjoy the wide world of commercial absinthe, maybe I'll even get the hang of all these imported brand names.
It's a real pleasure to meet you!
I take my absinthe blanche, unsweetened, and at 1:3 with ice water. And always made from 100% organic herbs and spirit. Cheers!

Welcome! I usually take my absinthe 1:3.5, unsweetened. The folks that I know who make the stuff source high quality herbs and spices ... not quite sure what to make of "organic".

The folks that I know who make the stuff source high quality herbs and spices ... not quite sure what to make of "organic".

All components used must be either "certified organic" or "wildcrafted" This includes the neutral spirit. Though one may argue about what "organic" really means when it comes to internationally traded goods, you cannot deny the importance of avoiding possibly toxic additives in a product that is concentrated through the disillation process.

It would surprise me greatly if Pete were asking for a definition of "organic". I really doubt anyone around here is that stupid.

There are numerous members of this forum that are master distillers who have long employed those levels of quality control and standards to the products they produce.

The comment of not knowing what to make to your emphasis of "organic" probably was more along the lines of "What's your point?"

Do you think you're the first and/or only person to apply integrity to what you do?

Not meaning to come across as speaking for you, Bluewolf Pete.

(Just irritated by yet another noob coming off like they have standards that no one else bothers with.)

The folks that I know who make the stuff source high quality herbs and spices ... not quite sure what to make of "organic".

All components used must be either "certified organic" or "wildcrafted" This includes the neutral spirit. Though one may argue about what "organic" really means when it comes to internationally traded goods, you cannot deny the importance of avoiding possibly toxic additives in a product that is concentrated through the disillation process.

"Organic" can be fine. Many of the herbs we use are. Wildcrafted herbs can also be quite good and I would go so far as to claim that our wildcrafted Angelica is as good as any and better than most. However, our garden is not certified "organic" (although is free of chemicals, additives and non-organic damn near everything) but our Grand Wormwood, Pontica, Costmary, Melissa and Elecampane fairly rock. Worse yet, our green anise is provided by a dedicated commercial farmer. The question for us is: Do we stick with strictly organic or do we use the best herbs we can get. It's a pretty easy decision for us. :)

you cannot deny the importance of avoiding possibly toxic additives in a product that is concentrated through the disillation process.

Actually (and please correct me, distillers, if I'm wrong about this), the only thing "concentrated" through the distillation process is the ethanol. It might actually be argued that the distillation process leaves behind, in the still, a great many unwanted components of the constituent herbs.

Perhaps this isn't the correct forum for me. I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers and I am certainly not talking down on anyones work or experience. I was simply stating my preferred beverage choice.

Hedonmonkey, I appreciate your warm welcome. I guess I wrongly assumed that this forum was a place for like minded individuals to share and discuss something that they love and are passionate about. I can take my passion somewhere else if it's out of line in this venue.

Now, don't get on your high horse, pardner. We have no shortage of "like minded individuals to share and discuss something that they love and are passionate about" which is exactly why the young lady responded to you the way she did. Generally, I'd say this is one of the kindest Forums on the internet. If you really want to learn more about absinthe, this place has some of the world's greatest experts happy to share their knowledge and experience. Choose your words carefully. don't wear your feelings on your shirtsleeve, hang around and have fun.

you cannot deny the importance of avoiding possibly toxic additives in a product that is concentrated through the disillation process.

Actually (and please correct me, distillers, if I'm wrong about this), the only thing "concentrated" through the distillation process is the ethanol. It might actually be argued that the distillation process leaves behind, in the still, a great many unwanted components of the constituent herbs.

I don't think anything is actually "concentrated" including the ethanol (it starts out at 95% and ends around 75% and reduced further after distillation). Regarding the essences of the herbs, "extracted" would probably be a better word choice.

(edited 'cuz I was was still asleep when I made this post at O'Dark-thirty) :blush: