Sign in to follow this  
-TJ-

Absinthe infused cigars?

I was curious if this might work. I've read multiple people say they prefer not to smoke cigars while drinking absinthe, due to each basically masking the other, but I was wondering what an absinthe infused cigar might be like.

I have 2 Romeo y Julietta Club Selections that have dried out a bit, but instead of simply rehydrating them, I was thinking about possibly doing an infusion to one, or maybe 2 different infusions. At first, I was thinking whiskey, or something, but I've had (and liked) those...

This idea initially came this morning as I was looking at the Acids on Thompson Cigar. I know a lot of people feel it's a love/hate thing with Acid, and that's fine. I personally have enjoyed the 3 I have tried, but that's me, and I'm getting off track…

Anyway, I was thinking about the direct method, but with absinthe having such a high ABV, I'm not sure if the direct method is a good idea, or if enough evaporates so when lit, it doesn't become a flare. If this is an issue, I would consider the indirect method. Of course the question begs to be asked; "Which absinthe would I want to waste about a shot of?" I'm thinking MAYBE Vieux Carre, or something similar?

Any ideas, or thoughts?

A guide I found about infusions .

I'd say it will not work out and will dry them out more. You'd have petrified cigars with some flavor but because of their state they are now the bad kind of bitter. Go ahead and get a ziplock bag if you want to do it, don't even think about putting spirits in your humidor.

Edited by Cajun Magic

Thanks, Cajun. The more I've thought about it, the more I lean towards using a zip-lock (indirect infusion), IF I did it. The only things I keep in the humidor are a hygrometer, boveda pack, and a few stogies. (Including the 2 I was thinking of using.) ;)

The 2 RyJs aren't too bad, just a little dry from sitting in the cellophane for a little over a week/week and a half. (Simply because I misplaced and thought I lost them…) It's just dry enough to notice when you give the stick a little squeeze, not too stiff, but enough to notice.

Do you think they would dry out more using either method, or are you thinking of the ABV being too high and having an effect?

Here's what the article says about each technique:

The direct method is performed with either a shallow pan or a cookie sheet. Pour your favorite liquor, extract or an infusion you have made at home into the pan and then roll the cigars around in the liquid. Once the cigars have been coated in the liquid, place them into zip lock bags and allow to dry. You may want to place the bags into an airtight container with some type of heat lamp to assist in the drying process. - infusion guide

The indirect method can be performed with zip lock bags and a couple of gauze pads. One pad is soaked in the flavoring agent and the other is soaked in distilled water to maintain humidity. A Humidipak or Boveda Humidity pack would make a much better substitute for the water-soaked pad. The cigars would then be put into the bag and kept separated from the moist pads. A downside to using the zip locks is that you would have to be careful in moving and storing the bags to make sure nothing is damaged. An easier method would be to use a Tupperware container or a large mason jar with a shot glass full of the flavoring agent and a humidity pack of some sort. The indirect method may require that you replenish the flavoring agent as time goes by due to evaporation.
- :)

I'm really not sure if I want to take the gamble, but I am also curious. I may try 1 with absinthe, and the other with whiskey.

I may also just say "screw it" and smoke them after they've been revived! :shifty:

I'd be worried about the high abv/drying out from the direct method. You'd have to keep them humidified so I'd recommend the indirect method. Hope it works out for you. Oh and don't put them in your humidor either after the infusion. If it goes bad then all of your other cigars/future cigars in the humidor will absorb the flavor.

Good point, thanks! I think I am going to try this, at some point, but I don't know if I'll use the RyJ, or something else.

I've also been wondering if the type of wrap on the cigar would play any role in the flavor, and which wrap might blend better with the wormwood, fennel, and anise. I wonder if it would be best to go with a natural, so the flavors don't step all over each other (if they would), or something with a more flavorful maduro wrap?

Too many questions, I guess the only thing to do is decide on the cigar & absinthe to try. I think I'll be throwing the lab jacket on soon. ;)

Thanks again :cheerz:

I agree. I was thinking after I posted the last time, that mild is the way to go. I think the maduro or even a more medium body might overpower it.

Thanks again

Being a fan of RyJ, I would suggest going to your local cigar store and picking up a couple of 2 buck sticks. I'm guessing Cajun Magic is correct about the end result being less than satisfactory. But what the hey! It is an interesting experiment.

I agree. I've decided that I am going to try it, but with a $2 stick. I can sleep better (especially if it fails) knowing it was a $2 stick over a stick at or above $5.

I'm going to do two. One with Vieux Carre (using the indirect method), and the other with the direct method, using Jack Daniel's No.2 Master Distiller series.

The article recommends a 2 month minimum infusion time, so I'm thinking I'll shoot for at least 3 or 4.

Edited by -TJ-

Yeah, it's going to be a long wait… Hopefully worth it though. If not, well, hell…I tried! ;)

I'm going to have to redo this experiment at another time. I was using an Oliva Conn. Reserve, and Vieux Carre, but somehow my ziplock found a tiny puncture. Mission failed.

I hadn't tried the JD as planned, but will get back to this soon.

Edited by -TJ-