Sign in to follow this  
Absinthe-Minded Professor

Hello Green Fairy Fanatics! Or, Blended Absinthes Anyone?

Greetings everyone,

I'm a professor of Asian Religions and have been an amateur absintheur since 2008, as well as a WS lurker for nearly as long. After trying a broad range of absinthes, from the Jade Liqueurs selections, la bleues like La Clandestine and La Capricieuse, and several others, I ultimately enjoy the Jades the most, with the Roquette 1797 a close second. I'm introducing myself now not only to express my appreciation for the Wormwood Society openly, but to also reignite a discussion on blended absinthes that I haven't seen talked about really since 2008. As a fan of the Jades, my trinity has become the PF 1901, VS 1898, and, recently, the Terminus. Since I'm equally a fan of blended whiskies and wines as I am of their non-blended cousins, I was curious if any movement has been made on good blended absinthes? What little discussion I've seen seems to suggest it's a waste of time (and good absinthe) at worst, or at best a way to raise a poor absinthe up by blending it with a superior absinthe.

Lately I've decided to experiment between the Jades, since I figure similar origins might help, and so long as the result is good I'm not really wasting anything in terms of proportion. I blended half ounces of the 1901 and Terminus to make a full 1:3 glass, and have done the same with the 1901/1898 and 1898/Terminus. So far I've been pleased with the results--the starting color and louching between them have been especially vivid, and I've enjoyed the blended complexity of taste and bouquet. So far the 1901/1898 blend is my favorite, though, my girlfriend prefers the 1898/terminus. I've yet to go further with 1/3 blending, or even moving between brands, but I'm tempted to. Frankly, I was inspired by the blending set of distilled botanicals that Jade put out recently. I was just curious if anyone else has done similar experimenting?

By the way, as I type this I'm enjoying a lovely "untainted" glass of Terminus.

Cheers,

Absinthe-Minded Professor

Welcome! I could see using a blend with an Absinthe that uses a unique blend of herbs, such as a Ridge Verte, or their Blanche. Very unique wormwood they got there. I need to get my hands on some more now that I think about it. :g:

Welcome!

I blended Lucid and St. Geore once. That ended my blending experiments quickly. Maybe higher quality brands would fare better as your experiments indicate.

Welcome to the Forum.

Blending sounds like it might be a fun evening with friends but most of the distillers I know put a ton of time and effort into their herb blending long before it went into the bottle. ;)

But like I said, it could make a pleasant reason for an absinthe party.

:cheerz:

Welcome.

I've never really been too tempted to blend, but now that I think of it, I should have tried this with the bottle of Obsello II I had a year or so ago... At first I thought I really liked it, but it was short lived. I gave the rest to a friend who loved it, but maybe I should have tried a blend first? I do wonder how that would have worked out. It's a thought, but ... I really just prefer to keep it the way it is.

I agree with Joe, the distiller (nah, artist, imo) puts a lot of time, effort, energy and devotion to making a great absinthe. For those successful enough to do so, I don't think I would want to "ruin" it by mixing an inferior absinthe with it.

As long as you enjoy it, that's really all that matters, right? ;)