Sign in to follow this  
Hedonist

Adding ice to a glass of absinthe

Hi everybody. I've found that a few cubes of ice sharpens the flavor of a glass of absinthe. (I've found the opposite is true of whiskey, which in my opinion ice sterilizes and dilutes too much). Of course, one must take into account that the absinthe will be diluted a bit more as the ice melts, but unlike other liquors, absinthe is made with the express instruction to dilute. I'm wondering if others here have added ice to their glass of absinthe. I understand that historically absinthe was enjoyed without ice added, but I also understand that 100+ years ago ice was perhaps not was not as available as it is today. Now that we have ice in abundance, why not use it?

I believe that somewhere on this forum I saw this asked before. From what I remember it was recommended not to add ice directly as it would freeze/clump the oils too much and leave you with a poorly prepared absinthe.

One cube is usual for me, usually about halfway through to freshen it up. I like it chilled but not ice cold.

For something a little more icy for a hot summer day

Try an absinthe frappe! :euro:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/absinthe-cocktails/368-absinthe-frappe

Historically this was the favored American way of drinking absinthe.

After louching an absinthe I used to drop in an ice cube. This way I could see over time what higher dilutions would do as well as keep the drink cold while I sipped an entire glass.

I've pretty much stopped doing this. Once you know the strength you like it becomes easy to tell when it is done.

'Nothing wrong with dropping an ice cube in a glass of absinthe if you want it a little colder or a little more dilution.

It's a drink, not a religion. ;)

I may add ice from time to time. Personally, I like to start with a cool glass of absinthe and let it get closer to room temp. I find that I see, feel and taste the different subtleties of the drink.

If you drink good booze, why not try to get the most from your drink. JMHO of course.

If it's too cold, I don't think you do the booze justice.

Again, just my personal experience. I'm sort of new to the drink myself.

I'm learning, Cheers!

I too am a fan of watching and observing the aromatic and palate changes that happen to absinthe as it evolves while gaining temperature, post louche. However I know a very enthusiastic absinthe drinker right around here who loves ice in his absinthe. It's your booze. Drink it whatever way you want to.

JMHO of course.

You kids and those acronyms and chat speak! :twitchsmile:

I believe that somewhere on this forum I saw this asked before. From what I remember it was recommended not to add ice directly as it would freeze/clump the oils too much and leave you with a poorly prepared absinthe.

I read a thread here some time ago about this (or maybe it was somewhere else).It advised against storing absinthe in the freezer like vodka,or adding ice to absinthe neat,because the oils will crystallize.I've occasionally added an ice cube to a louched glass that got warm and never had a problem.

I like what Joe said. I usually don't sip a glass unless ice is in it. What size of ice are we talkin' about? Fist sized or crushed-ice-pseudo-slushie sized? I enjoy both, depending on the size of the dose poured, type o absinthe and season o year. Summer Slerpis and winter Vilya are two different things for me.