Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Burnin' it still..

Not for awhile, I don't believe.

You can't swing a dead cat in any liquor store without hitting an absinthe know-it-all. :fork:

Edited by OMG_Bill

I swear I'ma use that line Bill, very next time I'm talking to one.

Or rather, listening to one tell me how much they know, who then suggests the Grande Absente and says, "Now THIS is the good stuff."

"Now THIS is the good stuff."

In these parts, I still frequently hear the opinion that ANY absinthe available here or in the U.S. is not the REAL absinthe (as if the REAL hallucinogenic stuff really exists); This frequently from those in the hospitality (especially bartending) trade.

Or rather, listening to one tell me how much they know, who then suggests the Grande Absente and says, "Now THIS is the good stuff."

Hahaha, OMG this reminds me of a conversation I had with my Psychiatrist. He knows I'm rather fond of drinking Absinthe and the subject came up during a session late last year, when I asked him if he'd ever tried it. He said he had, at which point the following paraphrased conversation took place:

Me: Oh cool, so you've tried Absinthe then, what did you think of it? You didn't try any of the dodgy sh*t they sell here did you? (at this point in time no liquor store in Adelaide sold anything but vomit inducing crapsinthe)

Psych: Oh no, my friend wouldn't dare buy anything from here. He went over to Europe and got the proper stuff.

Me: Awesome. So you prepared it properly and everything then? Wait, please don't tell me you set it on fire.

Psych: *confused look* You're supposed to set it on fire?

Me: No, No! Never set it on fire (segue into explanation of the history of the fire ritual and Cszech crapsinthe).

Psych: We just drank it straight.

Me: You what?!

Psych: Well how are you supposed to drink it.

Me: (Cue me miming the entire Absinthe ritual) Right, that's it, I'm bringing in a sample of one of the Jade Absinthes next session and I'm going to show you how to prepare it properly.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I haul my fountain, replica Torsade glasses, Fleische spoons and prechilled spring water along to the next session. Half my luck the Clinic Director is there breathing down everyone's throats with a surprise Practice audit. So there's me in the middle of a therapy session, performing an Absinthe fountain ritual (I had one sample each of Eddie and NO), whilst my Psychiatrist swaps between rapt fascination watching the louche unfold, and nervously checking the door every few seconds lest someone decide to walk in while his patient is preparing to serve hard liquor.

Now I'm not completely irresponsible, I knew he still had to see patients and drive home, so I poured off a small amount in a glass for him to try, and then drank the remainder myself. He takes a few mouthfuls, immediately starts writing down brand names and places to buy whilst exclaiming how tasty it was, and 'Wow, that looked nothing like the stuff I drank". At this point I find out the 'Absinth' his friend had assured him was 'the proper stuff', because it came from Europe, was actually a bright fluorescent green coloured Czech Fauxsinthe, purchased back in the mid 90s, that tasted like some strange mix of sweetened licorice flavoured Vodka. Cue me face!palming, whilst my Psychiatrist looked rather sheepish and said (paraphrased) "Hey, it was the 90s, I did stupid sh*t when I was younger - at least this time I didn't just slam down straight shots, oh gawd I can't believe I did that!"

I haven't asked him yet if he's actually purchased any Absinthe since then (I gave him the details for Absinthes.com, Rueverte.com and Absinthe Classics), but judging by the look of delicious revelation he had on his face when he took his first sip of quality made traditional Absinthe, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's already stocked up.

:cheers:

Edited by Emerald

Wow! That story is very similar to one I had with my therapist several years ago.

I did, in fact, bring good absinthe to our session. Chilled bottle of water.

Two glasses, I prefer smallish servings, and we sipped a bit as the session continued.

I asked her the next time if she had enjoyed the booze. Affirmative!

She was given a few samples of decent booze and thanked me.

There are details but who needs that. ;)

Cheers!

My story runs so parallel with Emerald's.

Mine was with my therapist.

My psychiatrist on the other hand was different.

I went into his office with my Wormwood society t-shirt on and he said, you're certainly wearing that as a joke.

What's the joke, Doc? You don't need to be drinking that stuff.

He allowed that if it were a legal drink, it wouldn't have been banned.

Our session lasted about fifteen minutes. He and I are the same age.

Neither one of us wants conflict or drama.

I told him that his knowledge of medications was far greater than mine.

Then I told him that I obviously spent about the same number of years studying Absinthe.

His face got red and veins on his forehead and neck were prominent.

I wondered what drug he was on. I didn't ask. ;)

We parted both wearing fake smiles.

Another wonderful day of bliss.

:)

Edited by OMG_Bill

Thanks for sharing! :)

Just further illustrates how esoteric genuine absinthe knowledge can be.

And what a benefit it is to have sites like WS to dispel the myths!

:cheers: