Sign in to follow this  
Emerald

Koruna Absinth

Prime example of both an infused vodka pretending to be absinthe and a marketing gimmick known as prestige pricing.

:dry: indeed.

This is not a particularly high price by Australian standards. Import duties are very high. Mansinthe is $165 in the same store. Elsewhere La Fée is around $140 and Jade is $199. And there are $1.30 Australian to $1 US.

Prime example of both an infused vodka pretending to be absinthe and a marketing gimmick known as prestige pricing.

This is not a particularly high price by Australian standards. Import duties are very high. Mansinthe is $165 in the same store. Elsewhere La Fée is around $140 and Jade is $199. And there are $1.30 Australian to $1 US.

It is a ridiculously high price for Crapsinthe though, considering another Liquor store sells similarly faux brands for under $90. True though that some brands here, even those most people would point to as Crap or Fauxsinthe do retail in excess of $100. So far in, South Australia at least, the only half way decent brand of real Absinthe we can purchase (without having to go through somewhere like the Absinthe Salon in Sydney, where the Jade range, for example, does cost almost 200 dollars a bottle) is Mansinthe, and that's retailing for around $145-$165.

This is pretty much the only liquor store in Adelaide that carries a range of Absinthes, and as you can see the majority of them are complete dreckage even if the price isn't as steep as the $130 some places are asking for with something equally vomit inducing like Koruna (although it seems a bottle of Green Fairy Superieur will still set you back almost $147).

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/spirits/absinthe

And this would be why I order all my Absinthe from Absinthes.com. Even when you do get hit up for customs duty it still works out cheaper to buy from overseas than it does to buy direct from retailers here, especially if you bulk order to get the free shipping. I've actually got a bottle of La Clandestine on the way from Absinthes.com (along with one bottle each of L'Ancienne, La Grenouille, and Emile Pernot Bourgeois) in the next couple of weeks - really looking forward to trying it. :cheers:

Strange, it looks like a relabeled St. Antione. If so, I like the non-Aussie name.

But how does it compare to Aussie infused vodka prices? Which is what it actually is.

Pricing an inferior product around the same price as an average offering is still prestige pricing. Look at how Crillion prices the terrible and obviously cheap Absente line for instance. Around the world it averages near the same as most other bottles of absinthe, even though it could be sold at a profit for much cheaper.

(although it seems a bottle of Green Fairy Superieur will still set you back almost $147).

Have you tried that one? It is actually a Martin Zufanek creation.

Oh really, I didn't know that, thanks!. With the exception of just two brands that have only recently become available (Mansinthe, and as I've just found out Green Fairy Superieur) the rest of what is sold as 'Absinthe' here is high priced Fauxsinthe. Stromu is sold here is as Green Fairy, so I see Green Fairy anything being sold in an Adelaide Liquor store my first response is going to be "you want me to pay how much for that crap?!" Now that I know Green Fairy Superieur comes from Martin Zufanek I shall definitely be placing it on my 'Absinthes to try' list.

With the exception of just two brands that have only recently become available (Mansinthe, and as I've just found out Green Fairy Superieur) the rest of what is sold as 'Absinthe' here is high priced Fauxsinthe.

La Clandestine and Butterfly are now available at Nicks/Vintage Direct in Melbourne.

Edited by Alan Moss

With the exception of just two brands that have only recently become available (Mansinthe, and as I've just found out Green Fairy Superieur) the rest of what is sold as 'Absinthe' here is high priced Fauxsinthe.

La Clandestine and Butterfly are now available at Nicks/Vintage Direct in Melbourne.

Oh wow, thanks so much for that info. Looking through the prices it looks like most of the bottles are only ten or so dollars more than importing from overseas (unless you have enough cash on hand to do a bulk order and save on shipping costs). I already have a bottle of La Clandestine on the way from Absinthes.com, but now that I know other brands are available for a similar price direct from a shop in Australia I'll definitely be trying some more brands. :thumbup: