sahiri

L'Ancienne available for pre order

I tried it the day I got it. Many differences between earlier years. Definitely similarities though. I am waiting a bit and will try sometime in a week or two. Understandably things will be a bit different with a different ww being used.

Definitely a well made absinthe still which is the important thing. There are things I really miss from the 2011 bottling. That said, I still have some of the 2012 or the last time it was made. It is awesome. I know some changes occurred so I am hopeful with this bottling too.

One thing I can say is that Stefano would not release a poorly distilled product.

Edited by greytail

This is a delicious absinthe.

There was a lot of passion that went into it, there is no doubt. I will say that there are some heavy differences between this and the last bottling and I feel sure that the major difference is the Wormwood. I remember sometime ago a discussion about Pernod nabbing up a years worth of Pontarlier Wormwood... It's really too bad that an artist like Stefano didn't get a chance to work with it this time.

There still is a vintage quality to this absinthe but it is not as true as the last bottling I had. That bottle was much closer to vintage Edouard.

Sadly, I was really hoping for something that would be the same as the prior bottlings - but I find nothing wrong in supporting folks that have a true passion for making absinthe and making it very well.

Edited by Deluge

Thanks for the comparisons gents ... I guess I may never know how the original bottling would taste ... unless I may wish upon anyone generous enough to send me a sample ?

Having a glass right now and it is very good. Having never had any prior year - I have nothing to compare it to directly... but can definitely taste similarities with some of the pre-ban I have had. There are also similarities with other commercial absinthes I consider top-tier... though that is probably a given considering the traditional profile that is reproduced here. This is a wonderful absinthe and I would purchase from the next bottling without hesitation.

By the way any generous offer of 2011-12 L'ancienne samples - I have access to the infamous , rarified Absinthe Reverie ... which I am happy to send through haha .. pm me

Edited by gee13

I agree with the general sentiments to L'Ancienne so far. Still a great bottle, and I'm hoping it improves after first opening. I'm keeping a bottle of the original and this 2nd batch in a dark closet somewhere for maybe a decade or so (sorry Gee).

Edited by autopsy

I agree with the general sentiments to L'Ancienne so far. Still a great bottle, and I'm hoping it improves after first opening. I'm keeping a bottle of the original and this 2nd batch in a dark closet somewhere for maybe a decade or so (sorry Gee).

No problem autopsy ... perhaps we re visit this in a decade or two ... Im patient ...

I think the wormwood in this batch is awesome. Bright, fresh, and crisp. Definitely adds a different character to it. Although I've only had a couple glasses since I opened it, I've noticed something in the finish that was very similar to the apm prototype that went around from Stefano, via Greytail, a while back. A kind of dry, nutty flavor? Hyssop? And a definite Christmas tree note a couple minutes after the sip. I can also taste a good deal of pontica in the finish, which I'm sure will have settled down and melded more by the next glass. It's a different attitude in this one compared to previous years, but I dig it. I do wish the flavor was more in your face, than elegant and refined, but damn good stuff just the same. Sure glad to have had the privilege to snag a couple bottles.

It'll probably be about another month before our shipment arrives, considering we have to pay duty fees and taxes on it. I'm trying to look at it as a blessing in disguise though, an extra month's worth of shelf aging.

I am very much looking forward to this evening - I've been waiting for this for two years.

Do you have a case like that for all your bottles of absinthe?

No, I usually have cases I've made; but these came to work so I had to improvise...

What kind of leather is that? Looks great.

Just had my first glass ... Im speechless... palatial memories of georges pernod pb abound through my senses.. this is a little better than very very good .. not having tasted ghe previous version I cannot compare ... but who cares we live in the now...!! Studio Pankow - Linienbusse plays in the background.. a perfect complement to artistic endeavour. Thanks indeed Stefano you made my 2015.

My order finally arrived! First sampling of the 2014 distillation of L'Ancienne has been sampled, and all I can say is WOW! Having never tried pre-ban I have nothing to compare it to in that regard, but purely as an Absinthe by itself it more than delivers - I commented to my husband that it tasted like someone had combined the best aspects of the Jade 1901 and the Jade Edouard into one absinthe and then finished it off with a honey dripping, smooth and buttery finish. It's like tasting a well crafted symphony, just outstanding, I can't wait to try a second glass after it's had a chance to breathe and the flavours to develop more. I have a bit of a quirk where I like to assign musical pieces to Absinthe, and for L'Ancienne I am assigning Ravel's Bolero as it's theme. Kudos to Stefano and Martin for one of the best Absinthes I've had the distinct pleasure of sampling. :cheers:

I'm almost half done with my first bottle of L'Ancienne, and it's definitely top tier.

For my education, is this an absinthe that can be described as wormwood-forward? I'm trying to learn what tastes are what.

Thanks. I didn't mean to imply L'Ancienne is unbalanced. Not at all. The wormwood just seems prominent, but in a very good way, like the wormwood is a star on proud display.

Playing off Emerald's music analogies, is it fair to say wormwood is the bass guitar of absinthe flavor? Without the wormwood, isn't the taste of absinthe going to be hopelessly thin?

Now, how does one distinguish between anise and fennel?

Thanks. I didn't mean to imply L'Ancienne is unbalanced. Not at all. The wormwood just seems prominent, but in a very good way, like the wormwood is a star on proud display.

Playing off Emerald's music analogies, is it fair to say wormwood is the bass guitar of absinthe flavor? Without the wormwood, isn't the taste of absinthe going to be hopelessly thin?

Now, how does one distinguish between anise and fennel?

Going by my musical affectations, and bearing in mind that different people may experience certain tastes in different ways, the Wormwood is the sound of the snare drumming in Ravel's Bolero, it's not the taste of a smoother bass note, it's higher pitched in its astringency and brightness, insistent but not overpowering ~ and then the other flavours begin to come in, the Anise as the flute, having a sweetness with a quality of freshness about it, light, airy, still building on the high pitched snare of the Wormwood, but gradually tempering it, and then the fennel, sweeter still but smooth and beginning to deepen, like the sound of the Clarinet, before the flavours and notes begin to swirl and combine, each still playing their own separate tune but layering one on top of the other now, until finally the different notes build into a butterscotch and honey dripping harmony of after taste ~ and with each sip the symphony starts anew and then builds stronger, as your taste buds learn to sense the different notes in advance and the flavour whorls and dances its way across your tongue.