sahiri

L'Ancienne available for pre order

Yes, they are sister companies (as was stated to me in an email communication sometime ago when Absinthe Classics no longer stocked a particular Absinthe and referred me to their 'sister company', Absinthes.com). Both have excellent service, but I find myself using Absinthes.com more now due to their wider range. Rueverte.com which comprises Absinthes.net is also part of the same company.

And echoing praise for Stefanie and Absinthes.com in general. Awesome customer service, they actually ship to Australia, great range of products (ignoring the minor percentage of crapsinthe they stock), delivery times are excellent (and they inform you if any delays are going to be expected) - I have not had one bad experience with them, and have no hesitation recommending them to anyone looking to buy Absinthe.

I think it's important to note that absinthes.com distinguishes distilled absinthe from what it euphemistically calls "mix of essences" absinthes.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't have a problem with the Bohemian absinthe. I think it's a great novelty at parties. Skull bottle. 90% alcohol. 35mg wormwood. Sure. Sounds like fun. Let's torch it.

I hosted an absinthe party a few months back. I had the distilled absinthe on one end with the fountain. On the other end was the Bohemian absinthe with the lighter. It was fun, and my guests were educated as to the difference.

And it's shipped! :yahoo: When that one item comes back in stock. I'll order double and might throw in an extra something on the side. ;)

Edited by Cajun Magic

Gaaaaah, my order has been listed as "Inbound Out of Customs" by USPS for four days now. How long can it really take to get from NY to NC? It's the weekend right *now* haha

Hedonist, you have your absinthe shipped to the office? Well alright! You *must* be the boss to receive large foreign packages labelled "alcohol" at your job :cheers:

Yes. More bottles for me.

Dan, there are no outward signs that the contents is alcohol. You can shake it and hear the liquid but there are no labels like on other packages sent from vendors like DUNY or catskill cellars.

When they hear the slushing, I think most people figure it's alcohol in there even without a label. They probably think it's wine.

Yes, I always receive my booze at the office so that there is somebody to sign. I do own the business, but if any of the staff wanted to have their booze delivered to the office I would have no problem with it.

I've received orders in my office for more than a decade. I'm not the boss, but it's never been a problem. This was the first time a delivery person has mentioned that the contents sounded like liquid. I think it's due to the bottles not being filled all the way; they are a bit noisier.

On a more relevant note, this stuff is really good. It made me wonder a lot of things about the production process. The similarity to vintage absinthe is undeniable. The pontica is a little lost, if it's there at all. Maybe it will jump out at me a little more in future glasses. The grape base is super clean, and devoid of the funk that can sometimes accompany that type of spirit. All in all, very much worth the money in my humble opinion. Perhaps a formal review is in order.

Greytail- Ah, that's right- I've been on a domestic absinthe kick for about a year so I forgot that it was unmarked.

Hedonist- They probably do think it's wine- heck, I remember about 2007-2008 I used to order from a place called Fine Spirits Corner. They would ship my absinthe in large cardboard wine boxes haha- I imagine customs was more of a pain for the absinthe world then.

I've received orders in my office for more than a decade. I'm not the boss, but it's never been a problem. This was the first time a delivery person has mentioned that the contents sounded like liquid. I think it's due to the bottles not being filled all the way; they are a bit noisier.

On a more relevant note, this stuff is really good. It made me wonder a lot of things about the production process. The similarity to vintage absinthe is undeniable. The pontica is a little lost, if it's there at all. Maybe it will jump out at me a little more in future glasses. The grape base is super clean, and devoid of the funk that can sometimes accompany that type of spirit. All in all, very much worth the money in my humble opinion. Perhaps a formal review is in order.

Thanks for the good words!

I use pontica in the coloration, so it's definitely there, but not a large amount, so I don't think it's ever gonna jump out at you, even with extra breathing and aging.

The pre-ban absinthe I studied and used as a model for the development of L'Ancienne flavor profile was a heavier on hyssop and not at all on pontica, so that's why L'Ancienne has a noticeable hyssop profile and a mild pontica profile. The pontica is there to provide support for the balance and I can guarantee that when there's no pontica, it feels like there's something missing. It's easier to taste the lack of it, than a mild, unobtrusive presence.

Another thing to keeep in mind is that increasing the pontica in the coloration step can very quickly result in a bitter absinthe. The general consensus is that wormwood is bitter, that's why its distilled, and pontica is not, which is why it's used for the coloration. This is only half true, because pontica's lack of bitterness is highly dependent on the amount used. It can get very unpleasantly bitter, although never as bitter as wormwood.

It's no coincidence that the only absinthes on the market (that I've tasted) with a really big pontica profile are La Bleues, where all the herbs are distilled, so you can use as much pontica as you want.

Edited by Stefano Rossoni

Stefano, would it be okay to ask which pre-ban you were primarily basing it off of and why you chose that particular one? (PS just received mine today! I'm letting it rest and breathe a bit before I sit down for what I'm sure will be a real treat.)

That's some restraint, Joseph. Kudos.

Stefano, what you said about the A. Pontica makes total sense. And of course last night when I got home I poured another glass and could immediately smell it on the liquor prior to dilution. It balances out perfectly with the addition of water. I'm even more impressed with it now that it's been open for a day. I'm curious about Dan Patrick's question as well.

@ DanPatrick

I'm sorry but I'd rather not disclose that information. Not because it's a secret, quite the opposite, naming brands would just start an endless argument between who thinks it's very close to it and who believes it's nothing like it, I'm sure you understand.

Edited by Stefano Rossoni

Stefano, that makes perfect sense; and you're right- I can just see the massive forum argument now. No worries :)

I'm drinking it as I type and it's a fantastic absinthe. It has a wonderfully rich wormwood and hyssop profile that is supported by the anise and fennel instead of the other way around- the melissa is waiting in the long finish. The treble does come in first, but then the bass hits :) I do have the unshakable feeling that this will be even better, maybe markedly so in about a week after it's had time to breathe and recover from shipping.

Fantastic work- I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm going to age my second archive bottle for a number of years and see what magic happens :cheers:

Edited by DanPatrick

Wow, this L'Ancienne is really opening up just 4-5 days after being shipped. Transforming really. Now I'm wishing that I had waited to drink it instead of starting immediately after receiving it. >_<

Fortunately I bought a second bottle that I plan on aging for quite some time :)

Just awaiting mine .. but being one who missed out on the original L'A Im wondering if anyone could care to share any tasting note comparisons.