sahiri

L'Ancienne available for pre order

Yeah, I just pre-ordered two bottles: one for drinking, the other to archive. I also picked up a BdJ and La Pontissalienne to sip so I won't blow through it......Good lord that hurt. :dead:

Just got my pre-order in, I've been waiting to try this Absinthe for a couple of years now (never had the money before to place an order before it sold out), I can't wait. :thumbup:

Yeah. I would like to know how they know this wormwood is so old. Is there any concrete evidence other than they think so?

I don't think Stefan has made any claims about the wormwood being 'old' (I'm assuming you mean as in 'can be traced back to what was definitively used in pre-ban Absinthe?) My understanding, from what I've read from the L'Ancienne FB page at least, is that he found the newly sourced VdT wormwood's profile to be more similar to the wormwood profile he'd tasted in the pre-bans he had sampled (profile = flavour/taste, again I'm assuming?).

This is the relevant part of the post he put up on FB where he talks about the newer VdT wormwood compared with the Pontarlier, I'm sure I also saw the same posted in the L'Ancienne thread on here as well (might have to go back a few pages).

I found it very interesting to make a batch of L'Ancienne with wormwood that was, in fact, even more similar to the one used in pre-ban absinthes (what we know now as Pontarlier wormwood is excellent but it does have a different profile than the wormwood used in the pre-ban samples I've tasted).

This is just me, but my reading of that translates to - "I tasted this newly sourced wormwood and it evoked memories of a similar taste I'd experienced in the pre-bans I've been able to sample, which leads me to believe that this wormwood is perhaps more akin to what may have been used in certain pre-ban Absinthes."

Yep. talking about the wormwood found in the attic.

See marc Thuiler's FB to see what I mean.

I already asked Stefano about it.

Edited by greytail

Yep. talking about the wormwood found in the attic.

See marc Thuiler's FB to see what I mean.

I already asked Stefano about it.

I wasn't aware there was more to it. I'll have to take a look at Marc's FB to get more of an idea of the back story I think. Not that it in anyway is dampening my enthusiasm in trying L'Ancienne for the first time, even with the change of herbal bill. Thanks for the extra info, this is one Absinthe (like with Ted's Jade line) that I'm definitely interested in understanding more what has gone into the process of creation. :)

No, if anything this should elevate it. It is pretty cool but just trying to ascertIn some facts.

Short of it is this. A guy from Boveresse goes up into his attic and finds some WW drying. He throws it on a compost pile and in the spring it is growing and is some of the nicest smelling WW. Anyway, story goes that this dried WW was from pre ban era. Martin got some and it is what Stefano used for Lancienne 2014.

I tried going to facebook to find it but I dont use facebook so I am lost there.

Songcatcher can provide a link when he is on sometime.

I found Marc's Facebook page, but it's closed off to friends only so I can't read the post in question - by any chance can you provide a quick summation? Like I said I'm particularly interested in learning more about the creation of this particular Absinthe, and some of the history/decisions/process etc behind it. It's one that's been on my 'must try' list ever since the first batch became available (and promptly sold out before I could even think of affording it). I've read the reviews and comments from people who have compared it favourably with their own experience trying pre ban, I must admit I'm more than a little curious if the change in wormwood source will bring it closer to the aged pre ban taste that Stefan seems to be striving for, or if something will be lost in the translation from Pontarlier to VdT.

Edited by Emerald

No, if anything this should elevate it. It is pretty cool but just trying to ascertIn some facts.

Short of it is this. A guy from Boveresse goes up into his attic and finds some WW drying. He throws it on a compost pile and in the spring it is growing and is some of the nicest smelling WW. Anyway, story goes that this dried WW was from pre ban era. Martin got some and it is what Stefano used for Lancienne 2014.

Thanks, you must have read my mind when I was writing out my previous post :D And now I really want to try this Absinthe! (patience when waiting for long awaited Absinthe, not really one of my strong points at the moment :cheers:

I have had vintage Edouard.

This stuff is as close as you can get to that vintage taste with a modern made absinthe.

Stefano really puts much care into making this, it shows. Sells out quick. my bet is its sold out by mid week.

Vintage Edouard *sigh!drool* :worshippy:

I would like to try and keep a portion of L'Ancienne set aside to see how it ages, alas I somehow doubt I'm going to be able to resist the urge to enjoy every last drop (even if I have to wring the bottle out). I'm just so excited to *finally!* try it, the Absinthe gods have definitely aligned for me on this one -- considering a financial gift, that was enough to allow me to place a $250 order with Absinthes.com and receive free shipping on the L'Ancienne, plus several other Absinthes that have been on my 'I really must try this brand' list for a while now, just happened to land in my lap with perfect timing. :cheers:

Edited by Emerald

Does anyone know how many bottles of L'Ancienne are being distilled? I read that post from Marc (thank you Martin) and it says something about there being enough for 25 litres. Is that 25 litres of L'Ancienne, or was the Boverese Wormwood divided between a few distillers?

Divided. Mr. DuVallon was too kind to share a few kilos with us.

And for that I shall be adding a few bottles of DuVallon Absinthe to my 'must try' list. I always like to support those distillers who act with integrity and generosity of spirit when crafting their product. :cheers:

I actually feel rather honoured to have secured a bottle, and to be able to partake of 2014's distillation of L'Ancienne. This was one Absinthe I never though I'd actually get to try, and the more I get to know about Stefano and Martin, the more impressed I become with their sincerity and obvious passion for crafting fine Absinthe. I'll definitely be on the look out for more of their products in the future when I have the money to put through another order (which sadly isn't likely to be until the end of this year).

No promises but I did get an email back from absinthes.com which said there may or may not be additional bottles in the shipment which have not been pre-ordered yet. So that's some hope to those who have not secured a bottle.