Sign in to follow this  
Hedonist

No more Black Absinthe!

Hello all,

I discovered "absinthe" on a trip to Spain last summer. The whiskey selection there was so limited that I picked up a bottle of Jacques Senaux Black Absinthe at a small market for 10 Euros. From there things snowballed when I returned to the states and researched the history of absinthe and what true absinthe is. The Wormwood Society has proven the best resource I've found. Approximately six months later, absinthe is one of my favorite spirits, perhaps second only to rye whiskey.

Some of my favorites include the Jades, St. George, Vieux Carrer, Pacifique, and Vieux Pontarlier.

No more Black Absinthe for me!

Oops doubleposts, I blame the phone. Anyways what are your favorite Ryes? I do like them also.

Hi Cajun. Right now, I prefer ryes of not less than 100 proof and am bored with the pervasive ryes from the Indiana distillery (Bulleit, Templeton, Dickel, Redemption, etc).

Some of my current favorites are Wild Turkey 101, Willett 2 year, Whistle Pig, and Knob Creek. But a few months back, the list would look completely different. It's always evolving....

I can't agree with you more about all that stuff from MGP. In fairness, some of them approach being OK, especially price considered (but many don't... not by a lot), however as a group they're very commercial and pretty soulless. I had a Remember The Maine made with Redemption a couple of weeks ago and it was completely hollow.

For anyone interested in the sourcing of some of this stuff here are a couple of articles.

I remember being favorably impressed the last time I tried Russell's Reserve. I absolutely love the character of Michter's Straight Rye, but like the Russell's, I wish it were 100 proof or higher.

I remember being favorably impressed the last time I tried Russell's Reserve. I absolutely love the character of Michter's Straight Rye, but like the Russell's, I wish it were 100 proof or higher.

Russell's Reserve 6 is a Wild Turkey product. I believe Wild Turkey 101 rye is the same mash bill only at 101 proof and not as aged. Give it a try if you can find it. It's a little rough around the edges, but that's why people love it.