Sign in to follow this  
muggle

Whiskysinthe

I've noticed that a few absinthe purveyors are now offering oak aged absinthe varieties and I'm definitely curious. As an experiment, I'm going to buy a liter of Kübler and let it rest inside a small oak barrel for a while.

I recently read some banter on here about the amount of time that it takes to get an authentic maturation in the barrel. Some were skeptical of whiskysinthes aged fewer than 2 years, which makes sense. Apparently smaller batches take significantly less time to mature however. This data sheet from a barrel manufacturer claims that small batches around a liter would only take a few weeks to develop because of the ratio between the amount of the liquid and the surface area of the barrel - https://oakbarrelsltd.com/files/Instructions%20&%20Barrel%20Prep.pdf

I'm also a bit skeptical about the rapid rate of small batch oak aging, but it's worth a shot. I'll post an update once things come together.

cheers,

d.

Edited by muggle

just got some of the oak aged La Clandestine Barrique a week or so ago and I really like it. it has a really vanilla-ee taste to it along w/ the other classic flavors

That was water leaking out of the barrel, not the Kübler. It took about a week for the barrel to swell enough to prevent leaks. I filled the barrel with Kübler a few days ago. I'll pour a shot in a few weeks and update the thread about its progress.