Hello there Absinthites!

My name is Justin. I live in LA with my wife and daughter (but am originally from NY). Iv been lurking on the green fairy for a while now but have now begun to enjoy it for the first time.

To be honest, I do not drink any other type of alcohol anymore. As someone who works in the creative side of advertising and branding I find Absinthe to be the perfect drink to open the mind but not get too sloppy at the same time

Anyways, I am preaching the choir here.

I do have one problem. I keep kosher. Which means that I am very limited in my alcohol consumption when it comes to grapes and grape-based drinks.

As of now there are no kosher grape-based absinthes (but I have heard that Jade looked into it a couple of times).

That leaves me with Absinthe with grain, sugar, beet etc alcohol bases.

Anyways, this limits the kind of Absinthe I can enjoy and Most sites do not list the alcohol they use. I think there should be a rule about that.

Anyways, I have done a little research and contacted a few distiliries and determined that the following Absinthes are "for the most part" kosher in that they do not contain grape alcohol or products.

Lucid (Lucid actually has a hecher... a kosher seal from the orthodox union here in the US... otherwise known as an OU.

Doubs Mystique (they might have a hechser as well)

La Muse Verte

Pacfique

Vieux Carre

Kuebler

Un Emile (Emile Pernod)

F Guy

Lemercier

La Fee

Duplias

Tenneyson Absinthe Royal

Mansinthe

Absinthe Original (I know I know)

Absinthe King Gold (Again, I know I know)

Can anyone add any specific disteillery, brand or product to this list?

Also, if you are interested in producing kosher grape absinthe (in Israel or Califronia) let me know. I have a name all thought out and a greta brand story.

Anyways... hello!

You can add these to your list:

Marteau Belle Époque (NOT the Master's Reserve, which IS made with grape spirits)
Pacifique
Vilya
Meadow of Love
Walton Waters

Most sites do not list the alcohol they use. I think there should be a rule about that.

Actually, there is such a rule for US made and legally-imported absinthes. If you read your labels you'll find a statement such as "Grain spirits distilled and infused with herbs".

We plan to get certified once we have our own distillery, but we're subleasing now.

Thanks Gwedion, Ill have to try your Absinthe next :)

I can also add:

Vieux Carre Absinthe Superieure

Versinthe (Liquoristerie de Provence)

Even though Un Emile is reportedly made with grains base, I have to remove it from the list for now as I recently learned that Vieux Pontarlier, which is distilled by them, uses grape. So now its just a matter if they use the same equipment or if they are made at the same locations etc. I have tried contacting them but received no answer.

And thats for the note about US labels. I will look for them. Today I was in a liquid store and saw a bottle of Abyss and just for kicks looked for it on the label and couldn't find it.

Nevertheless, when it comes to sites like Absinthes.net and the like, this info is of no help as its almost never discussed in the descriptions and even rarely by the distillers themselves.

Someone from Absinthes.net told me that everything on the site is made with grain or beet based alcohol unless otherwise mentioned which I soon discovered to be untrue.

I also saw the the Beit Din in England listed Pernod Absinthe as Kosher not releasing that the new recipe used grape. I straghted that up with them.

When it comes to Kosher and Absinthe its a real mess out there. Im trying to straighten it all out.

Hi Justin,

We corresponded by email about La Clandestine. If you are leaving that out because our distillery produces a wine-based variant once or twice a year, you may have to leave out some of the others in your list.

Lucid is produced at the same distillery as Jade.

Tenneyson is produced at the same distillery as Vieux Pontarlier.

François Guy produces an absinthe which has a wine base.

I would not be surprised if some of the others in your list also produce brands with a wine base.

I don't want to criticise those brands but to make sure you apply the same standards,

Welcome to the WS Ober. I dated a girl once who was keeping kosher, it was a big lesson on how little I knew about the subject. Best of luck on your hunt for a kosher green fairy.

I think Vilya Spirits uses a grain base for all their products, you might want to drop them an e-mail.

Hi Justin,

We corresponded by email about La Clandestine. If you are leaving that out because our distillery produces a wine-based variant once or twice a year, you may have to leave out some of the others in your list.

I would not be surprised if some of the others in your list also produce brands with a wine base.

I don't want to criticise those brands but to make sure you apply the same standards,

Hey Alan!

Nice to put a face things.

You are right, I forgot to ad Le Clandestine to my list. I actually bought a small bottle as a treat for this Shabbos (Shabbat / you are supposed to put the good stuff you find during the week away until then) and am looking forward to it!

Lucid has an OU hechser so even though its distilled at Jade its all Kosher.

Which F Guys use Grape?

I think I am going to have to get product instead of brand specific with all of this.

I removed Emile Pernot as a brand because they produce some grape based and some grain based. I have heard that the Un Emile is grained base but without knowing what is what I don't feel safe assuming any of it Kosher.

Its all about the details

I'm going to update my lists and start a new forum I think.

Thanks Evan, Ill look into it. Are you a Yid?

Edited by obercreative

Welcome to the WS Ober. I dated a girl once who was keeping kosher, it was a big lesson on how little I knew about the subject. Best of luck on your hunt for a kosher green fairy.

I think Vilya Spirits uses a grain base for all their products, you might want to drop them an e-mail.

Thanks Evan! Nice to meet you! Thanks for the lead. Ill contact them. Are you Jewish?

I know that Pacificque is made from a Kosher all-grain base, as (I believe) is Vilya and the current production of Marteau is made. I can also attest that only Kosher grain alcohol has gone through the still that distills Pacifique.

You can add these to your list:

Marteau Belle Époque (NOT the Master's Reserve, which IS made with grape spirits)

Pacifique

Vilya

Meadow of Love

Walton Waters

Most sites do not list the alcohol they use. I think there should be a rule about that.

Actually, there is such a rule for US made and legally-imported absinthes. If you read your labels you'll find a statement such as "Grain spirits distilled and infused with herbs".

We plan to get certified once we have our own distillery, but we're subleasing now.

Thanks Gwedion, Ill have to try your Absinthe next :)

I can also add:

Vieux Carre Absinthe Superieure

Versinthe (Liquoristerie de Provence)

Even though Un Emile is reportedly made with grains base, I have to remove it from the list for now as I recently learned that Vieux Pontarlier, which is distilled by them, uses grape. So now its just a matter if they use the same equipment or if they are made at the same locations etc. I have tried contacting them but received no answer.

And thats for the note about US labels. I will look for them. Today I was in a liquid store and saw a bottle of Abyss and just for kicks looked for it on the label and couldn't find it.

Nevertheless, when it comes to sites like Absinthes.net and the like, this info is of no help as its almost never discussed in the descriptions and even rarely by the distillers themselves.

Someone from Absinthes.net told me that everything on the site is made with grain or beet based alcohol unless otherwise mentioned which I soon discovered to be untrue.

I also saw the the Beit Din in England listed Pernod Absinthe as Kosher not releasing that the new recipe used grape. I straghted that up with them.

When it comes to Kosher and Absinthe its a real mess out there. Im trying to straighten it all out.

Hi Justin,

Alan

Had your La Cladestine this past shabbat and it was wonderful! I can tell that I am more of a Verte guy but this was way better than the Kübler I tried a couple of days ago which, for some reason, reminded me more of Tequila than Absinthe.

Justin

Thanks Evan! Nice to meet you! Thanks for the lead. Ill contact them. Are you Jewish?

No I'm not Jewish. I just happened to date a few Jewish people back in college and I remember the difficulty of trying to cook breakfast for one who was keeping kosher. To be perfectly honest of all the comparative religious studies I've done, Judaism has gotten the least attention. Something I should correct since other large religions stem from it.