Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

SITE UPGRADE IN PROGRESS

Hey folks, it's been years since the main site software was upgraded, and the recent security issues show that it's time to change that.

I've disabled the ability to add new reviews and listings pending the switchover. It's a complicated procedure, owing to how many versions we're skipping (v1.5.26 to v3.3.1) so it could take several days, maybe longer. If you have reviews you want to add, please save your notes and add them when we're back up and running.

You may notice some 404 errors, but the info is still all there; you might need to click around a bit to get to it though. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that.

The good news is that when we're done, the new site will be pretty slick and will support a lot of fancy gadgets.

Who knows? We might even add some new content for a change!

Okay, so we're part-way there.

It would appear that the most crucial upgrades were a success and we now have a functioning review system again. We still need to migrate the existing images. New images may be added for new review items.

Pretty much everything seems to be back where it should be, but please let me know if you find anything that needs attention.

I'll begin the second stage of the upgrade next week.

We used to use Tapatalk, but I disabled it for a variety of reasons, most of which had to do with poor management practice. I'm open to suggestions for things that work with IPB, but don't really have the time to investigate them myself. If any of you would like to take that on, I'd be grateful for recommendations.

Gosh, here we go again. Everybody knows more about absinthe AND tech than I do. I don't know what IPB is, but if you don't like Tapatalk, Forum Runner seems to do pretty much the same thing.

I'm flattered, but my ability to keep up with tech is greatly diminished from what it was when the forum started ten years ago. IPB is Invision Power Board, the software that runs the forum. I'll have a look at Forum Runner, thanks! :cheers:

I was wondering if you were using Tapatalk or wanting to use Forum Runner to give you more flexibility on mobile devices? The forum looks pretty good on my mobile device as is, but then again I am pretty new to all this forum tech as well.

See my comments above regarding Tapatalk. I've just installed Forum Runner, so if you're using it please give it a whirl and let me know how it goes.

Okay, so I'm looking at the forum on my Android via Forum Runner, and I'm seeing the HTML tags, like . Anyone else?

Can't do attachments either?

I am looking at the forum on an ios device via Forum Runner, I didn't see and <em> tags, but I did see the html code of emoticons. eg. ":cheers:" instead of :cheers:

Love the new look on the site, G, especially that tasteful nuance of green. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Looks good. My only observation is the lack of contrast on the main page between the background and the departments (home, WS, Forum, etc). It's hard to resolve the text vs background with old eyes.

Edited by distill my beating heart