Marc

New Jade Terminus Oxygénée Absinthe Supérieure - review

I'd try a shot (louched, of course) to allow it to breathe just a bit.

Any absinthe that isn't slightly improved, (or at least undiminished) by such an action, isn't worthy of being considered in the top echelon.

I patiently await your review sir! Also, nooope, letting that bottle sit sealed on the shelf until the end of March. I've got it now, and that's what counts. I think we'll open it once the four of is are all here, with no small amount of ceremony of course. Then we'll let it sit and air out a bit, and let the louching begin after that.

A couple of weeks ago,a generous WWS member was nice enough to send me a sample of this new Jade.I do like the Jade line,and VS 1898 is probably my favorite.I let the sample sit for a few days,and let it breathe for a half hour before I louched.Unfortunately I didn't come away with the same impression as Brian did in his review. It wasn't bad,but it wasn't great either.Maybe my sample just came from a "bad bottle",but it seemed as though all the ingredients were pulling in separate directions rather than blending harmoniously with each other to form a collective profile.I'll wait for the next batch or two before ordering a couple bottles.

Red .. did your impression of the sample you got mirror the impressions of the WWS member you got it from? Ive got my bottle sitting now for a few weeks. Will be tempted to taste test soon.

That good, Brian? :shock:

I might just have to break my nearly decade-long Jade abstinence to give this one a try.

The way I see it, abstinence never did anybody any good.

Red .. did your impression of the sample you got mirror the impressions of the WWS member you got it from?

I know he wasn't crazy about it either.If I remember correctly,he said it tasted like someone poured equal amounts of each Jade into one bottle & called it Terminus.If he didn't say that then someone else I spoke with about it did.

Red .. did your impression of the sample you got mirror the impressions of the WWS member you got it from?

I know he wasn't crazy about it either.If I remember correctly,he said it tasted like someone poured equal amounts of each Jade into one bottle & called it Terminus.If he didn't say that then someone else I spoke with about it did.

Hmmm interesting .... youve now got me wondering what it would be like if one were to mix PF1901 and VS 1898 together...

My first bottle of Terminus is about gone, and I've really enjoyed it. As far as the Jades go, I would rank it second to only N.O. But of course these types of opinions tend to be rather fluid.

OK, now that I've had nearly the entire bottle finished off, by the 4 of us, I want another bottle very soon. In fact, aside from one minor quibble, this may be my favorite Jade. I can't agree with the feeling that Terminus is like all the other Jades mixed together, although their shared DNA is readily apparent from the first sip. It has a brighter, almost springtime feel, although that may be my cabin fever talking. Oddly though, it's the only absinthe I've had that I feel needs sugar. That could be because, just for ceremonial purposes, our first glass around the table was with the whole package, i.e. spoons, fountain (such as it was), and lots of Satie and Chopin. After that first glass, no sugar, but by the 6th glass I was thinking I wanted sugar again. Odd.

Otherwise, and really, with no reservations, highly recommended.

Tried it last night along with a Zufanek...the wormwood really shines through in the Terminus (notsomuch the Zufanek), although I'm not too sure what the oxygenated process does for the palate. Smell was rather unremarkable, even when louched there is an strong waft of alcohol on the nose, plus some mint...rather like mouthwash. Does not have the aroma bouquet of the other Jades.

On the first sip it is unmistakably a Jade, incredible rounded, almost milky mouthfeel...very much like 1901. Mid palate through the spice punches through and there are sharp notes of wormwood and sweet anise, with fennel and the other herbs dancing in the background. Herbaceous fumes escape the nostril and lead to an extremely long, minty finish. This is one powerful absinthe, as potent as the 1797 but very much superior in the herb balance and smoothness of the alcohol.

It is like nothing I've ever tried before but I don't think I can stomach more than one glass. Can't say it's the best either - rather partial to 1901 and Butterfly as my go-to "session" absinthes - but certainly in the highest echelon. Great to have in a rotation and possibly improved with aging.

I like it because it's different.

Not exactly like the other Jades but not a bad booze.

I appreciate the members that shared with me.

Thank you so much. :)

B

I'm a little conflicted on the Terminus. It's enjoyable, complex, and an undeniably high-quality absinthe but...I'm not sure if I'd order it again. I'm having a hard time putting my thumb on why. It's an idiosyncratic absinthe, which I generally like, but other absinthes seem to know what they're going for more than this one, like the spiciness of the Edouard.

Just tested this last evening. I actually wrote a longer review of it, but i was a bit tired and drunk while writing it so it is kind of incoherent. But here are my opinions about this:

1: The spicyness at first felt almost too overpowering, but still pleasant enough. Letting the glass get some air, diluting it at least in 1-4 ratio and maybe adding sugar all help tremendously.

2: The aftertaste was divine and just kept evolving for a long time afterwards.

3: Maybe my tastebuds are a bit off after a long break from absinthe, but unlike with most absinthes, anise seemed to take the backseat in this one while wormwood took the wheel. Same thing with fennel.

4: Mouthfeel is extremely rich and pleasant, while not getting too oily. Kind of like drinking liquid clouds :D

5: Instant favourite, or at least in the top 5! Still, the the overpowering spicy kick in the middle keeps this from becoming a casual absinthe, and more like a special thing to drink when you really want something powerful to blow your socks off!