Marc

New Jade Terminus Oxygénée Absinthe Supérieure - review

111494-absinthe-oxygenee-terminus-jade-7

Photo from absinthes.com: http://www.absinthes.com/product_info.php?products_id=1138

Color: yellow-gold with olive shades. No sediment.

Aroma (before water): room filling and inviting. Aged wine spirit (eau de vie) plays the support to a lush green anise and a flowery wormwood. One of the best aromas I’ve ever experienced from a modern absinthe.

Louche: Lovely. Stormy clouds are dancing in the glass (I used a glass dripper/brouilleur).

Aroma (after water): a mix of fresh and flowery herbs with notes of alpine and minty wormwood surrounded by a rich anise.

Taste: the creamy and lush anise is supported by a fantastic “vintage” eau de vie (the best I’ve ever tasted in a Jade and in any modern absinthe) and a bouquet of effervescent herbs perfectly mixing together without any favoritism for one or the other. The flavors stay quite a long time in mouth - especially the anise and the wormwood - with various notes following each others, it can be fruity, or minty, or punchy, or flowery, or spicy, a real festival for the taste buds!

Conclusion: Let's not beat about the bush: this Jade Terminus is now my favorite “verte”, no question. It’s a firework in the nose and in the mouth, it’s like tasting a very good pre-ban absinthe mixed with the freshness and the punch of a very good modern absinthe; you get both for the same price and that’s what my absinthe cabinet has always been looking for.

REVIEW PAGE

Edited by Brian Robinson
added link for review page

I don't mean to be a killjoy on this one, but a very respected palate (not mine) has deemed this one a camphor bomb.

Please don't shoot the messenger...

I think the camphor was reference to a preban Oxygénée sample.

Indeed, I now see that said poster at LFV has clarified his reference.

Edited by Absomphe

As soon as it gets delivered. :) I typically will pour out a sample into a 2 oz sample bottle, then let the full bottle air out for a little bit before I do a formal review as that helps to minimize off flavors from bottle and shipping shock. So give me about a week or so.

I am curious. Just heard of the product a few days ago.

Looks like I'll be shopping for absinthe for the first time in at least a year and some change.

IMHO, Ted hasn't let me down yet.

I'll be reading reviews soon I hope.......while I roll some change. ;)

Cheers! Y'all. :cheerz:

I got mine tonight. I normally never open any bottle until it has had a chance to settle down and 'rest' for a week or so. Shipping takes a toll. But I couldn't resist.

For now, I'll leave my note as one word: wow.

I have little doubt that it will be even better after it has had some time to rest and aerate. But what a start. Even under far less than ideal circumstances, this stands out as something absolutely incredible. I already have 3 more bottles on order. This is something I do not want to run out of.

Shortly I will be tasting Ted's eau-de-vie-de-vin used for his absinthes. I probably should wait and let that rest a bit too, but once again I'm impatient. Time to relax with a good digestif and read for a while.

(Edit: spelling)

Edited by Georges Meliès

Okay - having a fresh taste after a week of sitting and while the similarities to Authentique are there... having had some Authentique just yesterday and now a glass of Terminus... the Jade is much more complex. An evolving taste. It is very good.

From my posts at FeeVerte -

January 8th

I am drinking a glass of Jade Edouard that was distilled in 2014. The bottle was opened 36 hours ago and the flavor, color, nose, and body are all amazing. I remember the last bottle of Edouard I had from 2012 started this way. I wanted to pour every one I knew a glass… That didn't last! By the end of our time together, the 2012 became acrid and thin and it made me question whether I was delusional or just ready to move on.

I have all of the current Jades including the Eau de Vie and I am interested in monitoring how long they remain fresh. I have opened the 1901, the Edouard, the N.O. and the Coeur De Jade. I am going to wait to open the Terminus and the Verte Suisse.

January 9th

I've noticed that Jade will change over time. At the beginning it is amazing and over the next few weeks it opens up. After that I noticed that it declines. This is after a few months after the bottle is open though.

Best not to be a hoarder I guess…

300x300.jpg

That is ten years worth of bottles. I have had a few kind friends who have gifted me more than once.

Two dollar bill is a fine song but Moonshiner is more fitting in this case. When the bottle gets empty it sure ain't worth a damn.

moonshiner

A video from my old group.

January 11th

I am sitting down to my first glass of Terminus.

It is very good.

The hyssop is of great quality and it gives this absinthe an overall note of honey. The wormwood tastes like a Swiss harvested variety rather than a Pontarlier but it really is great. There is a dramatic interplay from the bitterness of the wormwood and sweetness of the anise and hyssop. After trying the Coeur De Jade I was able to taste where the spirit ends and the flavors of the herbs begin. Everything is working together in a fantastic and harmonious way. This is a delicious absinthe and it is really unique compared to the other absinthes in the Jade line.

To me it seems the entire line got a re-boot. There are no funky swampy notes to the alcohol base, the color is once again rich and full, and the flavors are complex. I hope that the contents in the bottles last a while. For now they are very, very good. Definitely worth trying if you like Jade.

January 12th

"Now that the bottle has been opened, try it again in a week and tell us if it has changed." - Jaded Prole

I plan on it.

I also noticed this on the Jade website -

Note: The flavor of this absinthe blooms significantly after the bottle has been opened, and a portion of its contents decanted and allowed to breathe for a day or two. The flavor will continue to develop even further over the course of a few more days

January 13th

I had a glass tonight that was still very good.

January 17th

The Terminus was amazing the day that I opened it. It has changed a little bit ~ It is still very good but it doesn't quite have the WOW factor as it did upon opening. Terminus would be a great bottle to open at a party, finish that night and just enjoy it. Like a bottle of wine. I think that is the way people did it back in the day? Get a group of four or five friends together, take a trip to the cafe, open a bottle of Edouard Pernod or Berger, finish it and repeat the following day. It's too bad prices limit that kind of experience today!

Watermarked-for-web-LHeure-dAbsinthe-Fis

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Vibrant and clear with a nice visibly green hue.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Dramatic swirling action that builds up to an full opaque louche.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
It looks like a glass of absinthe.

AROMA 28/30
Great base, very nice Hyssop and wormwood aromas. No Jade funk detected.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
Very full and creamy.

TASTE 18/20
Delicious. There is a dramatic interplay between the sweet hyssop and anis and the bitter of the wormwood. Everything works together in harmony and makes for a great glass of absinthe.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
I enjoyed this as much as I did vintage Cusenier Oxygenee - That said, they are really not at all similar but I don't think that was Ted's intention.

PERSONAL NOTES
crafted :Jun 2014

Total - 86

I am enjoying a glass right now. The flavor has changed slightly but it is not bad. I think the hyssop mellows once the bottle bottle is open.

In my opinion, Terminus is still an awesome absinthe! It is unique and has a lot going for it. It isn't necessary to drink it in one sitting, that is for sure. I have had bottles of Jade last for months. In my opinion they are best in the first few weeks though.

I think that absinthe prices are crazy high. For the same amount of money I can by a whiskey that has been aged at least 18 years and it will last for a long time in the bottle.

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Sorry for the cut and paste. Maybe a moderator can swipe the highlights.

Edited by Deluge

I think that absinthe prices are crazy high. For the same amount of money I can by a whiskey that has been aged at least 18 years and it will last for a long time in the bottle.

I'm sorry but this is apples and oranges.

First of all when comparing products it's important to consider the scale of production. The smaller the scale (all the way down to artisanal products) the higher the price. I don't know which whiskey you are thinking about but I would be ready to bet that its annual sales are more than all the authentic absinthe brands in the world combined.

Secondarily, if you are comparing a product to another product, you should try to compare similar grades or quality. With absinthe you can spend around $100 and buy the absolute top quality brands, the best absinthe has to offer. With whiskey, even not knowing which brand you are referring to, I know there's no way you can get the top of the top with $100. In fact you need much more than that.

Lastly, while aging is beneficial with many spirits, absinthe included, it has different effects on different spirits. For some spirits it's a must, for others it's a plus. There's not gonna be a big difference between a 2 years old absinthe and an 18 years old absinthe, but there is a huge difference between a 2 and an 18 years old whiskey.

Just trying to offer some perspective from the other side of the fence :biggrin:

I always tend to see a bottle of absinthe ($65-85 USD) comparable in price to 6 bottles of good, medium-of-the-road ($12-15 USD) wine. I think that is fair... though most absinthe is going to be of much higher quality than said wines!

That should take care of the apples to oranges fallacy in my statement. After thousands of hard earned dollars spent over 15 years on many mediocre brands I feel like I can make an honest statement about pricing. Just because production is on a smaller scale that by no means allows for the mediocre/drinkable absinthe producers to charge a premium rate. Stefano, you make a product that I do consider to be a premium product and I have no issue paying for that. I like absinthe and I am probably one of the 200 or so people in US that continues to purchase commercial absinthe on a regular basis because I like it. At $65 - $85 a bottle for a drinkable absinthe - Absinthe will just remain a novelty drink for the majority of consumers.

My husband thinks I'm crazy for wanting to buy absinthe every couple of months simply because of the price. But, when you really love something and the price is legitimate, then it doesn't matter. It's an investment in an industry and in something you love. But like Deluge says, it's stupid for mediocre producers to charge so much for crapsinthe.

From the photo, Deluge must be referring to 18 year old Sazerac Rye (one of my favorites) which generally runs around $85 here. For some reason, the rye disappears a lot faster than a similarly priced absinthe. I tend to drink my rye at the rate of 2 ounces a serving which is a little more volume than a glass of absinthe. That makes absinthe a slightly more economical drink, I think. Stefano's point regarding small batch producers is spot on, too.

No matter whether you prefer rye, absinthe, wine, beer, etc..., quality costs which comes down to, you get what you pay for in all things. Good spirits are damn expensive.

Enjoying some of the Terminus tonight. Upon first opening, after one day of settling from shipping shock, I wasn't very impressed. More mild than wild, at the time. A few days of resting has opened it up and made the flavor more distinct. Although to me, it tastes as if all the other Jades were mixed together and bottled. On each sip you get, at first, the familiarity of NO in the aroma. Then, the crispness of VS hits your tongue. The spiciness of Edouard as you swallow, and finishing with the anise of 1901. All in all, a pleasurable beverage. Glad to have some, and looking forward to seeing how it developes over time.

That's just my two cents on it.

Glad I found this thread, now I'll go find Brian's review if it's posted. Then to start saving my sheckles. Or pfennigs, as the case may be. So, "Terminus", as in last Jade? That seems ominous!

Which, said review of Brian's is where exactly? Can someone point me to it if indeed he did one? I've searched reviews, and come up blank.

So, "Terminus", as in last Jade? That seems ominous!

It seems even more ominous if you think of last season's Walking Dead.

Not that I'm suggesting that Jade Terminus is "people", of course. :devil:

OK, well I went and ordered some, from alandia no less. Mainly because that's the only place that still had some in stock. We'll see what we taste when I get the bottle. Although, actually I'm going to have a little tasting party in late March, so maybe it sits sealed until that night?