m.a.mccullough

Any Laphroaig fans here?

I have a particular fondness to the 10yr expression but curiosity and a dwindling price gap is drawing me towards the quarter cask. I'm wondering if anyone would know if any of the ten years attributes are lost in the quarter cask or if it just builds on them?

I enjoy both of them very much. You will definitely recognize the quarter cask as a Laphroaig, they're not that different.

I've never landed on which one I like the most, but I can guarantee you will like it if you like the 10 year old!
Personally my favourite distiller is Lagavulin though:)

They're fairly similar. I'd definitely say that the quarter cask builds upon what the 10 year lays down; it's just a little more complex. I just finished a bottle of the Cairdeas, which I think beats them both.

I don't feel there is enough difference to compensate for the price. I usually go for the 10 year when I buy Laphroaig but Im curious how the Triple Wood is personally. Im planning to pick up one along with a Glenrothes Vintage Reserve next friday since they are both new to me. As far as Islays go, I would have to agree with Mork on the Lagavulin though. On a side note, J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin) is one of the best barleywines Ive had if you like the best of both worlds and can find it

I personally can't taste enough difference to spend any additional amount on the quarter cask so I generally go with the regular 10yr. I am, however, curious how the Laphroaig Triple Wood is and am planning to pick up a bottle next friday along with the newer Glenrothes 'Vintage Reserve', one of my favorite companies for speysides. I have to agree with Mork though that I do prefer Lagavulin to Laphroaig as far as commercial islay brands go. On a side note, J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin) is one of the greatest barleywines I have had and I highly recommend it if you can find it.