Sign in to follow this  
Evan Camomile

Copper & Kings

"An unconstrained spirit should not be inhibited completely by tradition. We do not believe in consumption rules. Please enjoy our absinthe on the rocks with a citrus twist, as a julep with crushed ice and generous mint, or in the classic and imaginative cocktails that take your fancy.

Or be seduced by the traditional serving ritual with cold water, however in our opinion, absinthe is sweet enough without an added sugar cube. The faux ritual of setting distillate or a spirit soaked sugar cube on fire is an abomination."

I can dig what I'm seeing from the site, they want it to be a cocktail absinthe also. Seems pretty promising. :)

Edited by Cajun Magic

I worry a bit when I see brandy used as a base in a blanche; it can easily overwhelm. There are a couple brandy-based blanches I've had that are amazing, however.

Also, hyssop is a coloring herb for vertes, and not trad in blanches. It can add a lot of pine elements if not used carefully. A bit tossed into the pot in a blanche might be nice though. I guess we'll see!

I have often heard/read that hyssop is used in a blanche during distilling.

No need to let the little weed set idle on the shelf.

There have been a few(more actually) vertes produced without hyssop for coloring.

Absinthe is a favored drink in our home.

I've learned a lot on this forum.

As for a Brandy base.....wouldn't that be a grape base just not aged?

I reckon it can't be called brandy unless it's been aged the minimum two years.

Maybe, just maybe, I should read more before posting drivel. I'm drunk-ish, Flame on!

I have recently picked up a bottle. It is a decent Absinthe as far as my untrained palette can tell, but there is a herb on the nose and taste I cannot place. I am not used to it in the Absinthes I normally enjoy. For some reason juniper jumps to the front of my mind when I smell and taste it, but I honestly do not know what it is. Anyone else try this yet?

I picked up a bottle of it this afternoon. I like it, I might have over-watered, it tastes sweet and creamy with relatively low anise. I'll try some varying dilutions and see how it goes.

This absinthe has a noticeable hint of brandy from the base, which makes it pretty sweet. There is almost none of that bite from the anise. It's very smooth drinking, even at lower dilutions.

It's interesting. It's definitely a more "feminine" or "mild" absinthe than most, but still pleasant.

Anise "bite?" I hadn't considered it having a bite but more smooth and candy-like. Wormwood? Coriander? Sure.

I dunno. Different descriptors for different people I suppose.

I'm out on descriptors but I enjoy some of the half dozen different brands.

My taste buds are a wreck and I just usually build a drink and chill. :)

To you all, Cheers!

Yeah, I'm not really sure which herbs cause what, I'm not an absinthe maker. I know I didn't taste that wormwood bitterness coming through that I like, so it could be that which provides the bite I'm referring to, but I've always associated it with the anise bombs.

It does have a bit of what I call the "tissue fluid" flavor, I've always figured that was hyssop.

The brandy sweetness really evens everything out.

I like it better than Kübler, but it's not quite up there with duplais. It is good enough to buy a bottle if'n you like sweeter absinthe, the brandy base really shows through.

When I was at a local store, the owner had a 375ml bottle that he'd bought for himself. I need to go back and see if he got more of them.

It does have a bit of what I call the "tissue fluid" flavor, I've always figured that was hyssop.

I missed this before and I'm almost afraid to ask, but could you please explain "tissue fluid" flavor? I really want to understand.

As for the former post, not even having tried this, that makes sense; easy to do better than Kübler, not as easy to do better than Duplais.

The "tissue fluid" taste is something that I get with a lot of blanches, I don't know what it is exactly.

The first time I tasted it it reminded me of the smell of the fluid that build up in blisters on edematous decedents.

Yeah, try to forget that.

I Just picked up a bottle of this. It has a very sweet earthy-rooty flavor. Noticible gin botanicals here but NOT juniper. I looked through some gin review sites to try to identify some of the flavors, and I think the dominant flavor here is angelica. Also maybe a touch of coriander, orris and licorice root.

Also heavy on fennel.

It has a medium-thick louche, but light on the anise flavor. I can pick up the wormwood flavor, yet some of the subtle bitterness might be coming from something else.

The base spirit is muscat brandy, which gives it a nice white raisin flavor.

This does not have your typical Blanche profile, so I think it would work well in some cocktails, but not others.

On the minus side, I like more anise and wormwood forward blanches.

On the plus side, it is very mellow, slightly fruity and not taste bud numbing, so it would be a good one to drink with food.

really, really, really regret not snagging a bottle of the Zmaj at some point when i still had the chance. the stuff just looked really interesting.

but am looking forward to one day trying the recently announced verte and especially the (not limited like the zmaj) barrel aged verte.