gacatmandu

Vieux Pontarlier

So, I had me some Vieux Pontarlier for the first time a couple nights ago, I noticed the faint smell of chocolate as I opened the bottle, kind of strange as I haven't had that with other brands, although I haven't had as much experience with Absinthe as most on this board. As I drank Vieux Pontarlier it was smoother than Lucid or Absente (which are the other Absinthe brands I have had) but it had a really weird after taste like that of a block of wood a 2X4 if you will, but not so much as to ruin my taste for it at all. I enjoyed Vieux Pontarlier the most out of the three brands I have had so far, and I will purchase another bottle when I have finished with this bottle.

I would really like to know if the wood taste is normal for this brand or if there may be another reason for it, and what about the smell of chocolate?

I cannot speak for that particular taste; taste buds much be highly individualized. But the absinthe in the bottle is superb. It is currently unavailable in Missouri (something about state law and distributers) but it is a wonderful absinthe. Everything I read suggests that its quality is excellent. I know I love it. Enjoy....no matter what tastes it evokes in you.

Good luck.

Gerald

I suspect that wood taste may subside after a few days and a couple more glasses. I am amazed how absinthe will evolve after a little oxygen and time. I remember it as a quality absinthe. :cheers:

I've gone through a few bottles and find it consistently very fine. It's not top-tier but it's a well-balanced absinthe that's easy to like. It's my main 'go-to' when I'm introducing friends to absinthe for their first time.

I think Vieux has a nice subtle grape flavor to it after the initial heavy herbal taste. I'm thinking its because its made from "grape spirits". It seems like there is still some grape "essence" in it.

I personally found the Vieux Pontarlier was an Absinthe you need to take time getting to know - settle back, prepare a couple of glasses, and then really concentrate on teasing out the subtle flavour profile of each mouthful.

Here's an extract from a review I wrote for it on my FB profile:

Taste wise this would be an excellent Absinthe for a first timer who might not be sure about the typical Anise/Licorice based taste of most other Absinthes. Two of the holy trinity take a back seat to the Wormwood, with the Anise and Fennel only coming through later as an after thought. This is a very Wormwood forward absinthe, and it takes a while for the palate to adjust before the full range of herbal flavours can be appreciated. This is the sort of absinthe it's hard to judge until you've more or less drunk your first full glass. It is extremely smooth and well blended, a little too well blended first impressions will tell you, but be patient and you can tease out subtle variations of flavour. There's the earthy spiciness of Wormwood that comes through first, followed by a minty warmth that coats and numbs the palate slightly. The Anise and Fennel are there in the background, the last to arrive and barely noticeable until the last few sips of the drink when they start to make their presence a little more known. This isn't so much an absinthe you drink, as one you discover.

Imagine the roaring 20's, a smoky Jazz bar in downtown New Orleans, a few select bottles of bootleg absinthe under the counter for those in the know. If the Jade PF 1901 is the band leader up there in the spot light, then the Vieux Pontarlier is the pin curled blonde sitting in the booths waiting to be discovered.

Edited by Emerald

I remain committed to the idea that Vieux Pontarlier is an excellent absinthe. I'm told that I may even be able to purchase here in Missouri soon. Really, a fine absinthe along with some others. Enjoy.

I haven't had a bottle since it first came out, but this thread is making me thirsty for some. Wish it were available in Michigan.

I like Vieux Pontarlier and I agree it's better than Lucid.

Now, there's a left handed compliment, if ever I've heard one.

I've been meaning to buy another bottle as well. I can't even remember the last time i had it...maybe it was 3 months ago??

If it wasn't for these longboard wheels and stupid expensive carnivorous plants I keep buying I'd already have it.

Oh, get over it. ;) Edited by speedle

Yes. In truth VP is a good absinthe when compared to what else is out there (Lucid, Pernod, etc), but VP is in no way a great absinthe.

I'm still fairly new to absinthe, but right now Vieux Pontarlier is one of my favorites.

I don't often quote myself in public, but this is interesting to see. Having now experienced the 5 Jades, I no longer consider VP a favorite. But take the Jades away and VP is likely in my top 5. I can not and will not say the same about Lucid.

I JUST bought a bottle of this! I hope it is good. I also got a bottle of Lucid, which used to be almost the only available absinthe around here. I will come back after a tasting tonight. Should I compare it to the Lucid?

VP is my Honda Civic of absinthes. It's a great little number, true to form, reliable, flexible, a decent introduction for the unfamiliar, etc. But it won't be winning any races ;)

I have read of Vieux Pontarlier, but never tried it.

But, my belief is that each absinthe is different, and just like I grew to love absinthe in general, a person gets a taste for each absinthe. When I first had my favorite absinthe, I found the Anise far too strong. But, time, a few drinks, and the pleasurable experience of a numb tongue brought me a round to this aquired taste. I'm sure my first taste of a new absinthe will be rough, but mellowing with familiarity.......

It has been some time since my last remark about Vieux Pontarlier. After encouraging my best local store, he purchased five cases. Certainly not on my sincere endorsement, but the capitalist fact is that it sold, sold rapidly. This is a superb absinthe. I love the Pernod also to just put it into context. These are fine absinthes so, more than enough to give life some real meaning.

Enjoy the best absinthe you can find. It will not be cheap; if it is, stay the hell away from it. I am reduced to a few wonderful things in life, Vieux Pontarlier and Pernod give life such a wonderful .

Above all, enjoy, and with luck enjoy with another.

I really like Vieux Pontarlier, more so, I like to say it with a thick French accent. Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Pontarlier!

I personally prefer the buttery taste I get from Mansinthe which I believe is also made by Tempus Fugit Spirits.

I took delivery of a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier recently and I'm quite pleased with it. It's found it's place among my collection.

Vieux_Pontarlier.jpg
Edited by Amy Lewis