Sign in to follow this  
gacatmandu

Is There Any Truth To This?.....

Ever since I have been learning about Absinthe, I have been told that absinthe should come in dark bottles, is there any truth to this? I have noticed a lot of brands are not in dark bottles. Does it really make a difference if the bottle is dark or not?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere on this site.

Light degrades the chlorophyll which is the source of the green coloring, so dark bottles protect the contents better.

One can keep their absinthe it in a liquor cabinet when one gets it home, but usually by then it's too late. The dead-leaf amber color of truly older absinthes comes on gradually—often over decades—and has little impact on flavor or aroma, but the rapid breakdown caused by light over the course of months or weeks results in some pretty funky degradation compounds, especially in brands that are heavily colored.

I opened a clear-bottled absinthe the other day that's about three years old (kept out of light the whole time) and it smelled like someone farted in the bottle.

Light degrades the chlorophyll which is the source of the green coloring, so dark bottles protect the contents better.

Making this less of an issue for blanches.