SethP

What absinthe (!) was the first after the ban?

I just wonder if the first legal (and of course genuine) absinthe to hit the open market during the absinthe resurrection could be Lucid, or maybe Clandestine? Or perhaps any other?

I guess Lucid and Clandestine at least was among the first?

Globally? It was never banned in some countries, so if you mean globally, I am not sure that there is an answer!

In the USA, Lucid was the first into the USA market in 2007. Kübler's US lawyers claim to have been the first to get recipe approval in the USA (in 2004). The running order for the first US launches is more or less the same as when they got their final recipe and pack approvals, as chronicled on my blog. So Lucid, Kübler, St. George etc. La Clandestine is at no. 18.

In Switzerland Kübler and La Clandestine both hit the market the day that absinthe was re-legalised, March 1, 2005.

In France (or rather produced in France for export, or for sale under a different name such as "Extrait aux plantes d'absinthe"), then probably La Fée, from 2000. Versinthe contest this here, but it's doubtful whether their 1999 product was absinthe.

Wow! I had no idea about La Fée being that "far" ahead*, and I've just skimmed their history @ http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/content/view/236/

Looks like a really fascinating story and I'll read through it when I have a little more time. (I just hope that it wasn't their bohemian style that came at the turn of the millennium, or that it wasn't the only one. I actually thought, for quite a long time, that La Fée was just another crappy fauxsinthe.)

*) I have to say that I do understand the story behind the name La Clandestine (and the term la bleue) though. So to say that La Fée (probably) was the first isn't accurate at all... But, hey! It was me asking about what absinthe was released first on the open market. :secret2:

Edit:

Oh, by the way.. Have there been any (real) absinthe legally produced (and sold) anywhere between, say 1975 to 1995?

Edited by SethP

My understanding is that absinthe was produced in Spain during some of that period. There's a joke bemoaning the fact that George Rowley (who later launched La Fée) turned south-east at Calais in 1998: had he gone south-west, he might have discovered Spanish absinthe and the world would not know about Bohemian-style "absinth" or about burning it.

The order of absinth/absinthes launched by the company behind La Fée was:

Hills brought into the UK in 1998

La Fée (later called La Fée Parisienne) 2000

La Fée Bohemian (replacing Hills in the UK) 2004

Edit:

Oh, by the way.. Have there been any (real) absinthe legally produced (and sold) anywhere between, say 1975 to 1995?

Definitely Spain, with multiple products. Japan also had Hermes, but they stopped producing in 1987.

Here's a very well-informed page from Japan with info about Hermes.

Hermes absinthe was produced from the 60s to the mid 90s.
Here is the geneology of Hermes absinthe:
68° green glass bottle is the oldest (60s)
58° green glass bottle
58° brown glass bottle (70s-80s)
58° separated double label (late80s-)
58° present Hermes type bottle (-mid 90s)
production stopped (mid 90s~)

I understand I was a bit narrow-minded from the start here.

About Spain I just focused on (or thought about) the Pernod Fils production, more or less, and ignored the fact there actually could be other producers as well. The Japanese Hermes I've heard about but I thought it was produced only up to the beginning of the 70's, as latest.

How about any absinthes produced in Cuba? I understand that Hemingway, for example, bought Cuban absinthe? Or was it actually just imported to Cuba? (Any red* absinthes perhaps?)

*) As in "a red moon" discussed by the American administration during the 50's and 60's. Not red in color. ;)