TheGreenOne

The Mead Thread

Hey Sandpeddler--

sorry to hear about the unintended sparkle. If that happens in the future, refrigeration helps lower the pressure in the bottles a little bit. A hydro reading is a pretty sure method to prevent explosions. Stabilizing with sorbate or benzoate is not a bad idea on sweet meads. A little bit of everclear or brandy will also kill off any live yeast.

You know you're a homebrewer when you finish mopping the ceiling!

Thanks for the info, everyone.

We are going to look at a new house closer to school today. I went by yesterday and looked at it, and it has lots of extra space for proper equipment, so keep your fingers crossed!

:cheers:

All right. The T73 Birthday Mead (official name - and yes Maggies, y'all are due a bottle of it- whe I am done fussin') had it's second racking tonight. The colour has chaned from pure gold to a slighlty more rosy gold. The cherry flavour is more prominent. There is still a bit of yeast flavour. I racked again, and got a special heated blankey for it. I think it has been too cold for it the past 2 weeks. Now, I live in the OC. I have no heating or air conditioning. The past 2 weeks have been cold. I think it stunted the 2nd fermentation. The air lock wasn't bubblin' a bit. Now that I have racked it, and put some heat on it (very carefull with that heat - 72 degrees) it has started to bubble again. I think this will be something special.

Started a new batch tonight. Winter Solstice Honeydew Mead. Damn this xit smells good. Will keep in touch. I do have a question though. I have never really learned to take hydrometer readings before. This one only read 6% after mixing. I mixed 16 pounds of honeydew (weight after peeled and scooped), 6 pounds of honey, and 4 gallons of water. The hydrometer couldn't have possibly measured the sugar content from the fruit right after I mixed it? Right? I just don't understand. Sorry.

I just finished racking the three I have going at the moment.

Coloring herb metheglyn: So far, it's coming along well. I flavored it with coloring herbs by preparing a strong tea and then adding that to the mead. I sampled it this time and the flavor of the herbs didn't really come through, so I added some more. Even if the flavors don't come through very strong, though, I think it's going to be a really tasty drink. It's very light and refreshing.

Chocolate spice metheglyn: It's got a nice flavor going for it. A bit more cinnamon than I would have liked--I wanted the cocoa to come through more--but other than that, it's coming along well. I'll bottle it in May and it'll be a chore to not crack those bottles for a while.

Chocolate oat metheglyn: Also good. The oats have given it a smooth, stouty flavor. I think this one will be best if I can carbonate it. Which is a bit frightening, since I've never done that before and I don't know if I have the equipment to do a champagne-style bottling.

Assuming nothing explodes on me, next spring. But, you know, it's mead so any samples I send out ought to age for about five years. Can you handle that? :devil:

I cleaned up my bottler last night and bottled two cases of Wee Heavy and two cases of Zante Black Currant Mead. I still need to bottle the Sour Cherry Mead, and probably another beer. This of course will leave empty carboys which can be filled, which will in turn leave empty fermenters.

What to do?

MEAD!

Or, more specifically Apple Butter Cyser.

Mead is very very pleasant. I myself prefer the younger meads, which make the honey taste more prominent, but some of the well aged ones as pleasant as well.

Be sure to give it a try!

I just realized that a bottle I had been given years ago and thought was some weird really good sweet white wine made by a vinter named Mead was in fact a Mead, yeah I'm slow.

Actually it was this mead:

http://www.bellmountainwine.com/oberhof.htm

So I get to checking around looking for another bottle and some different brands to try and I find out I need a "connoisseurs license" to get mead shipped to Montana and because there is no way of verifying said license they won't ship here. I'm not big into wine but I'm sure the same thing goes for it as well. All this really sucks because I was looking forward to trying some of this stuff:

http://redstonemeadery.com/store/catalog/M...ne-p-1-c-2.html

I guess there is not a whole lot that can be done. I find a delicious twisted irony in the fact that I can get Absinthe from Europe, but I can't get Mead from Colorado.

This is going to drive me crazy. :wacko:

Our local stores carry a few varieties but none from Redstone or Bell Mountain. They are all traditional still meads. Here and here and here are some options although I'm sure there are many more. :cheers:

Thanks T73. I was actually getting an order together for one of those places already. Sadly they don't seem to have a great selection.

Never had mead before. We often go to Fredericksburg, TX on our way to see our son in Houston. Sounds like it could be worth a stop.

Reading the order form.....the TX site didn't say they wouldn't ship to you.

Great to hear :cheers: it's one of my favs, being still a bit expensive.

Unfortunately, mead is not so popular in Poland as it once was long, long time ago, so my biggest respect for anyone still drinking it.

Still popular here. Dang, I can barely swing a cat without hitting a bee hive where I live. (Not that I really enjoy swinging cats. It's just a saying. Okay? No offense.)

Lately we have got Barenjager talking of bee hive. Jesus! Not only weak, but terribly sweeeeeeeet :(

On the other hand, if anyone happens to find our good old Krupnik (bottled at 40% in a typical square bottle) do not resist - more than highly recommended :cheers:

I believe our fearless leader is familiar with that one.

Barenjager's made it here too, but I haven't tried it. And now probably won't bother.

It should look so and it is difficult getting since its alcohol content has been lowered to 38% and the taste is completely different.

Just a note, when first created in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth it was 45% or even more.

post-1144-1170879583_thumb.jpg

Never had mead before. We often go to Fredericksburg, TX on our way to see our son in Houston. Sounds like it could be worth a stop.

True. From what I remember it was good stuff that would be worth getting three bottles. I'll give them a call.

I believe our fearless leader is familiar with that one.

Barenjager's made it here too, but I haven't tried it. And now probably won't bother.

Barejager isn't a mead, though, it's a honey liqueur, which is produced in a very different way than mead. Mead is made by fermenting honey, either straight up or with various fruits and spices (herbs, if you will Absinthist ;) ). Barenjager is made by flavoring already fermented and distilled vodka with honey.

:cheers: That what we have felt: vodka (if diluted) and honey and nothing else (neither spices nor herbs ;) . In fact, any mead is better than that, whereas Krupnik is another story :)

I was just saying I've also seen the Barenjager. And that I believe Hiram's made favorable comments about the Krupnik before.

I have three bottles on the way next week. :drunk: If you like very, very sweet dessert type wines you may like their mead.

I just finished a marathon bottling of chocolate mead. I'm having a hard time naming this one, but I'm calling it an Oatmeal Spice Chocolate Stout Metheglyn. It's a blend of two chocolate metheglyns: one made with cinnamon and clove, the other made with toasted oats. I think it'll drink like a beer when it's ready. That's my hope, anyway. Anyway, I'm glad it's bottled...I've been racking it and aging it every month for about a year.

Sounds interesting and tempting. What is their abv? What is the percentage of sweetness in them? Keep up the good work!