TheGreenOne

The Mead Thread

Definitely lots of congrats.

Though my guess would be if you gave your daughter Melissa a glass of KOSG into the first sip she would say "Dad! Eeeeeewww!" I know you'd never stoop so low as to pull such a trick.

:cheers:

Congrats!

Too soon to tell exactly, but I think my pumpkin mead might have gone to vinegar. It's got a funky chemical smell to it I've never gotten in a ferment. Bugger.

Too soon to tell exactly, but I think my pumpkin mead might have gone to vinegar. It's got a funky chemical smell to it I've never gotten in a ferment. Bugger.

What could have caused it do you think? (I know nothing about making mead, that's why I ask.)

I'd guess I left it in the primary fermentor too long or I left it on the mashed pumpkins too long. Either way, I don't like the looks of this.

I picked up a case of champaigne bottles, corks and wires at lunchtime today. I'm getting ready to bottle the Blueberry (honey, no blueberries in it) Mead I made for my daughter for her wedding. It wasn't ready in time for the wedding, but they can still enjoy it.

I think I will start another batch for me.

I just filled 27 bottles with Raspberry Mead. It does have Raspberries in it.

The Cranberry Mead is almost ready for the bottles, too.

a case of bottles with wires and corks(ok, plastic stoppers) was about $20. So with the cost of the yeast ($4) Honey ($10) and nutrients ($1) I will have about $35 invested in say 20 bottles. Works out to $1.75 a bottle, which is pretty damn cheap.

I picked up a case of champaigne bottles, corks and wires at lunchtime today. I'm getting ready to bottle the Blueberry (honey, no blueberries in it) Mead I made for my daughter for her wedding. It wasn't ready in time for the wedding, but they can still enjoy it.

I think I will start another batch for me.

I may be running on too little sleep and confusing myself, but I have a quick question. Why is it Blueberry Mead if it has no blueberries in it?

I believe Master Gimp is saying Blueberry Honey as a honey type (Clover Honey, Orange Blossom, etc..). But, I'm frequently wrong.

My god, where did you find the time?

Well, I hate sleep. I rarely sleep more than 6 hours. Also, no classes on Tuesday/Thursday and since last night was a dress rehearsal, the show is almost finished. Just a minor bit of tech work before tonight's final dress, so my days are slowly returning to normal.

Ahhhh... ok cool. Thanks for the clarification. I was fairly certain there was a simple explanation that I just wasn't aware of.

:cheers:

Mead - straight honey. The veriatal of honey is the name of the mead.

So, strawberry mead would be mead made from honey collected from strawberry patches, blueberry mead would be made with honey from blueberry flowers, etc.

If it has fruit in it it is a melomel. Peach melomel is a mead made with peaches as a fruit component.

Cyser is a sub catagory of melomel made from apple juice and honey.

Bragot has malt in it as well.

Lots of confusing terms.

I am already planning on the next batch. Maybe pomegranate - so I can be super healthy when I drink my mead.

Afterthought: I wonder what an anise mead would be like? HMMMMMMMM.......

Edited by Alyssa Dyane