TheGreenOne

The Mead Thread

I agree with Sandpeddler.

Six months is more like the requisite if you want anything really decent, avatar embezzler.

I agree with you good sir. By my calendar, he has six weeks from today. :harhar:

And if the mead is any good at all, it'll improve with each passing day, week, month and year.

I don't know too much about how cysers behave, but I have four batches of regular mead in the making. One were started in January, two in July and one in early August. None of them have fermented out yet. The one from January has pretty much cleared up, but is still a-bubblin'.

Bottom line: it's stuff with its own personality. It doesn't conform too well with deadlines, but hey, that shouldn't prevent you from giving it a try.

That sounds wonderful and delish SP. Congrats on both the move and the anniversary! Gertz, you may have the biggest boobs but SP and I look the most powerful!

Even if it doesn't quite work like a champ, my friends aren't so picky they'll complain about me serving them alcohol. Unless it's steepsinthe. Not even my craziest friends will drink steepsinthe.

After my attempt at a quick Ciser (which failed) for my daughters wedding, I found out how to make a mead or ciser in 6 weeks.

It is done commercially on a regular basis.

The trick is incremental feeding of nutrients.

You must provide sufficient nutrients at the begining and provide plenty of oxygen (air stone and aquarium pump, not just stirring and splashing).

Then you add a teaspoon of yeast nutrients every day for the next four days along with agitating the must every day.

There was a discussion about it on the HBD about a month back. According to consensus it is possible to make a mead withabout six pounds of honey in a 5 gallon batch in six weeks by this method adn have it properly matured.

I generally see quick ferments with meads. By quick, I mean 1.000 gravity by the end of two weeks. After that there is not enough fermentation to see airlock activity.

Once I get the four batches of mead bottled that are currently in kegs, I'll try a quick mead by this method to see for myself how it works.

I scanned the post very quickly, but excuse me if someone has already mentioned the ROCKY MOUNTAIN MEADERY company. They make a long line of very, very good meads and are very authentic. I would NOT give praise to their flavored meads such as raspberry and such as they are pretty bad. Yet, their regular line is very easy to drink. I prefer the "Camelot" over anything else on the market. It's very sweet at first, but has a nice dry aftertaste. Got your attention yet? It, like most meads, has a very sweet base so drink a glass of water in between glasses to avoid that early pre-drunk headache. Let the mitochondria in your brain breath... :)

Edited by microfish

Hiya, Microfish. Thanks for the tipoff. I've heard of the Rocky Mountain Meadery, but never tried any of their products.

I recommend reading this thread through if you're a mead fan. But before you do that (or anything else), why not wander over here and introduce yourself. :cheers:

Martin--

My suggestion for what its worth is to ferment a reasonably low gravity cider, 1.050-1.060 and then sweeten it with honey. It might not be a true cyser but it might be mature at a young age.

Also, spices could help disguise it's youth. My favorite is Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea.

just a few random thoughts

So I started the pumpkin cyser this weekend:

6 medium baking pumpkins

3 gallons spicy cider from Trader Joe's (no preservatives)

6 lbs honey

2 packets Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast

I've been aerating for a couple of days in the primary. I'll transfer the whole into a carboy in a day or two and let it continue from there. It smells nice..there's a nice pumpkin-spice smell to it. If it's not done for Thanksgiving, I'll let the whole age until next year and try it then.

Sounds good,

the only thing I would do different is to use plain cider

and add my own spices. That way you know what spices are contributing what notes to the flavor profile.

I tried a bit of my show mead yesterday and it was sublime. It is so mellow and smooth. It does have a little more to go, but the honey taste is so forward-delicious!

:cheers:

Show mead? Have you told us about that before?

Show mead is just straight mead, no additives. Yeah, I mentioned it before...I just couldn't wait to try it.

Oct 12 2006, 03:18 PM Post #90

I set out a show mead and a pomegranate on 18 March.

I think I'm gonna crack the straight-forward on our last night here(we're moving back to Portland end of December).

I'll save the pomagranate for our 10 year anniversary in April. I think I'll put up a big batch then, too, for (tentative)future anniversaries.

Speaking of mead, I tried the ones I made about six weeks ago. A week ago they were drek. Tonight the ABC Lite is still pretty bad, but the Straight Blueberry mead is wonderful. It is amazing the change in only one more week.

Too bad I told my daughter last week that it would not be ready in time for the wedding this saturday. I gave her a sample that I carb'd up with a carbonator cap and she asked if I could bottle one small bottle for a toast at the wedding cerimony.

I've got a litre of it in the refrigerator that I'll bottle tomarrow. Too bad I didn't already get the champaigne bottles, corks and wires or I'd go ahead and chill/carb the entire keg.

Show mead is just straight mead, no additives. Yeah, I mentioned it before...I just couldn't wait to try it.

I set out a show mead and a pomegranate on 18 March.

I think I'm gonna crack the straight-forward on our last night here(we're moving back to Portland end of December).

I'll save the pomagranate for our 10 year anniversary in April. I think I'll put up a big batch then, too, for (tentative)future anniversaries.

I know, I know, PTFA. It sounds very good! I thought pomegranate would go well in mead but haven't tried it. Yet.

I bottled 5 gallons of Elder Flower Mead today, following Gertz's recipe. It smelled lovely and had a light, tangy, spicey flavor. Now, for the waiting thing, again. It reminded me of the Elder Flower Pyment I have aging already.

The Sparkling Blueberry Mead ( less than two months old) went over well at the wedding. Melissa (daughter) and Mike (Son in Law) each had a glass as a toast and Michael seemed really pleased with it. ( I discount Melissa's reasponse since she is my daughter and would tell me she liked drek if I gave her a glass). I gave a bottle to the groom's parents and my younger brother so I should get unbiassed opinions on at least one account.

It is strange. A week ago it was not very good when we tried it. Thursday night Melissa was here and we were working on preps for the wedding. I tapped the keg to bring her a glass and told her that it was not really ready yet. Her response was " dad, this is really nice" so I tried it and it was. I carb'd a litre of it and transfered it to 500mL stoneware crocks. I gave one to the parents of the Groom and presented one for the wedding toast.

It went over very well.

Happy ending.