ShaiHulud

Hello, I am ShaiHulud and I just joined

Ok, here is where my newness really shows but how could the best not be for sale as Jack claims? I thought I understood that distilling was the only real way to go... Oh, perhaps I just answered my own question. Maybe not. Are we talking pre-ban vintage or what?

Artisanal in a hotel shampoo bottle hugh? That is funny.

Not for sale, as in clandestinely produced absinthe which is not made for retail purchase; exclusively removed from commercial availability.

In more civilized parts of the world, New Zealand for example, amateur home-distilling is looked upon the same as home-brewing beer or wine. There are "amateurs" that produce absinthe far better than anything a large commercial producer can make.

Sometimes they share.

Ok, here is a question that I do not see answered in the FAQ about pouring. I have heard of people drinking their dose straight and I have hears of ice water to Absinthe mixes of 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 for different realeases. On the Thirsty Traveler Absinthe episode, they spoke about pouring the ice water just until the green oils slick above the louched Absinthe disappears for the perfect mix. I tried this with my VS 65 and it seems like a small amount of water, perhaps 2-1.

Is it all a matter of taste or what. How much water do you use and why?

Adding the cold water allows for the essential oils to be released so the the flavors can erupt.

Drinking it straight does not allow the flavors to release.

Might as well be shooting vodka.

As far as to what ratio to mix?

Mix to taste.

If you like it then it's a perfect drink, no matter how much water was added.

...On the Thirsty Traveler Absinthe episode, they spoke about pouring the ice water just until the green oils slick above the louched Absinthe disappears for the perfect mix. I tried this with my VS 65 and it seems like a small amount of water, perhaps 2-1.

Is it all a matter of taste or what. How much water do you use and why?

I'm afraid whoever said that is full of crap. Although I still haven't seen this show, I believe I know who it was and yes I'll say it again - they are full of crap. I think I'd listen to Pernod Fils' suggestion instead of this person's advice based on "secret historical data".

On the back of some Vintage bottles of Absinthe, they usually mention a 5:1 ratio of water:Absinthe. I prefer about a 4.25:1 ratio. Some people I know like a 3:1, others a 6:1. The standard seems to be somewhere between 4-5 parts of water per part of Absinthe. It is about taste. Some people do drink it straight, but it's not very enjoyable.

Thank you for the input.

I enjoyed the Thirsty Traveler eposode about Absinthe especially seeing Ted and the Jade distillery where my VS 65 was made. In my opinion the information was accurate, tasteful, and fairly myth free (no flaming sugar or hallucinagenic claims) they did not really even mention "secondary effects" while tasting but, rather focussed on history, production quality, pouring ritual, taste, and availability. That is why I was surprised to hear about the "perfect mix" technique mentioned above.

So far, I have found that I seem to prefer my Absinthe 4-1 and without sugar (which is a bit dissappointing in that the sugar and spoon thing is so cool).

I've gotten away from using sugar like I did in my earlier days, if I use any at all, it's usually half a St. Louis Sucre tablet.

I feel like it's a crime to add anything other than water, to the better made "artisanal varieties" that appear......Your mileage may vary, though.

Using the old Pernod guide for watering your absinthe is a good idea, you can then play with the ratio until you hit that "sweet spot" you like best.

Everybody has their own favorite ratio, but the segment at Combier did seem like not enough water from what I saw.

Sugar adds texture.

You've said that one too many times, Mr. Absinthe Illuminata...

Real absinthe is wonderfully milky texturewise, and doesn't need any additional texture from an extraneous substance that obscures its true flavor, any more than a fine real ale does.

Sugar adds texture.

You've said that one too many times, Mr. Absinthe Illuminata...

Real absinthe is wonderfully milky texturewise, and doesn't need any additional texture from an extraneous substance that obscures its true flavor, any more than a fine real ale does.

Umm..no.

The guy who does special Ed's voice, Jim Florentine, actually had been doing crank calls long time before crank yankers. He actually did one where he had his girlfriend scream in the background, and then pretended he was giving her an abortion to the individual on the phone.

The cops showed up at his house 15 minutes late.