ShaiHulud

Hello, I am ShaiHulud and I just joined

Hello everyone, I am new to the WS (and online forums in general). I am also fairly new to Absinthe as well. Like many others, I have seen it in movies and read about it in literature.

Every time my wife saw it in a film she went on and on about how much she wanted to try it and how cool it looked. Seeing a surprise gift idea, I feigned disinterest and secretly began researching it. I read everything I could find and soon found La Fee Verte and some other sights. Before long, I decided on a bottle of Verte Suisse 65 for Christmas. I ordered and recieved it without incident and was soon looking forward to the biggest surprise gift ever. I knew she would never guess what I had gotten her and the look on her face was to be priceless.

I could not believe it when she called me the other day and sheepishly confessed that she thought she had discovered what her Christmas gift was. I could not believe it. FOr some reason, she had logged into our computer as me and stumbled on my web history. I was so dissappointed. She was extreemly surprised but I had missed giving it to her.

With an upcomming personal holiday, however, we decided to open and experience the Verte Suisse the other night. We both loved it!! It tasted fantastic. The ritual was fulfilling (I wish I had a pontarlier glass or two and a fountain) and the effect was singular. I am an instant fan.

The only flavor and odor we did not recognize must have been the wormwood and it got a bit overpowering in the second glass. I was also dissappointed in the distillar's proof sticker and wished I had a bottle with a cool lable to save. I guess the Verte Suisse will be more traditionally labled soon. Any recommendations for a less expensive "every day" or "weekly" brand? Thanks for the info and cool looking site.

Welcome, Shaihulud!

I'm glad you enjoyed the VS 65. It's nice to see a discerning noob who isn't afraid to start at the top of the commercial heap.

For a daily tope, I would suggest the Verte de Fougerolles, or the Blanche de Fougerolles, also from LDF.

The Amer 72 is also not a bad choice, nor is the Kübler 57, or the François Guy.

Welcome Shaihulud! (Dune fan?)

Sorry your surprise fizzled, but I'm glad you found your way here.

Absomphe's recommendations are good. I always recommend the François Guy as a daily tipple. It's the most economical (at $85 per full liter, including shipping) and is very pleasant. It's not for those who don't apreciate anise, however, and it is only 45%.

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for joining us, ShaiHulud!

Excellent choice with the Verte Suisse.

I was also dissappointed in the distillar's proof sticker and wished I had a bottle with a cool lable to save. I guess the Verte Suisse will be more traditionally labled soon.

You're right:

We realize that many of you are patiently waiting for the final commercial edition with full labeling, and it is due out in the early spring of next year. We expect, however, that the temp-label 'Distiller's Proof' will become a collector's item. Once this proof batch is gone, there will be no more labeled in this same fashion again.

-LdF Team

I'm beginning to think the price difference from the Jade line to the next tier of commercially available products does not constitute enough of a savings to justify the gap in quality, but each of those that Absomphe (Edit: and Hiram) suggested are worthwhile. I will say that going to the Frenchman(as I recall) was more forgiving on the wallet for low volume orders, i.e. a single bottle. Of those recommended, Phil only offers the Amer 72 and Guy (about $80 for a .7 of Amer and $88 for a liter of Guy). Markus offers the Kübler 57 for $87 at Absinthe Distribution, but note that it is only a .5 liter bottle. Liqueurs de France offers the Verte de Fougerolles and Blanche de Fougerolles, individually and in a combination of two 200 ml bottles. The V.d.F. with shipping to the U.S. is around $90, the B.d.F around $100, and of course the Jade is looking to be about $140. The V.d.F/B.d.F. is running about $71, for 400 ml of absinthe (so I'd suggest just going with a single 700 ml bottle!). If you would like, utilize this to keep track of currency, as these are already estimates. And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into those. I was expecting to be hazed for something in my post. I guess I have been reading too many fee verte newbie roasts. I appreciate the decorum of this forum.

Yes I am a DUNE fan by the way. Sadly, most people do not get the reference. I suppose Absinthe could be the Spice of our world.

I am nursing my bottle of VS do I need to worry about storage issues besides room temp and out of direct sunlight?

You're quite correct, O Worshipful Master!

Go rehearse, you disciplineless wretch!

And gimme twenty of these :clap: while you're at it! :harhar:

Well, I appreciate it as a fellow northwesterner (Western Montana). Does anyone ever find Absinthe being served in a public establishment or does the ban religate it to home use only?

I think it'll be a cold day in Hades before absinthe is ever served in an East Bumfuckian establishment...

At least before "After Hours"...

I qualify this statement only because The Archer Ale House" played host to such an absinthe tasting...there were 18 absinthes tasted...in July of 2002, but only after closing time!!!! :clap:

Nice choice for your first sip and welcome.

Now that the pound costs $1.90 it will be a long time berfore I'm ordering more.

Markus is offering Kübler 57 for 30 euros this week. after shipping it'll probably cost about $70USD. However, pound for pound, you'd still be better off with what absomphe reccomended. There is also some truth in Grimm's statement.

I just decided to mention the Kübler 57, as it is a personal favorite.

Alot of people will tell you to store it on it's side, but I think that's more of a preference than anything else. It might not hurt to do that. It'd probably stiffen the cork which is a plus in the case of the jades.

All you need now is an avatar and you'll be fully welcomed.

Welcome!

I agree re the avatar and I have some pic's in mind but I do not know how to do it (place the avatar that is).

I have the VS bottle stopped with a pewter bottle stopper. Maybe I should recork it. I need to talk my wife into letting us drink some more (it was a gift to her). I would not think it would be difficult to convince her given what happened when we drank it last time. It seemed to have certain... well... marital enhancing efects. :wub:

I didn't disturb my last bottle of V.S. all that much and the last 50 ml, with all that had deposited on the bottom of the bottle, was quite tastey.

Uncork it every now and then, have a glass and set it aside. If the replacement cork you use isn't neutral in scent, or is rubber/synthetic, I wouldn't risk storing it on its side. It might add a funk, and then you'd be unpleasantly suprised at how capable you are at detecting it.

Like for example, if you decided to store absinthe in a plastic hotel shampoo bottle.

He's serious about that rubber comment. Corks or synthetic corks are the only way to go. And even then I would be weary of using a synthetic cork.

While it is nice to see my thread get action... What the heck are you guys talking about?

I looked at the pictures posted by Hiram re your last "event." Not only did it look like you were having a great time but it also appeared that you secured a lovely establishment. How many different Absinthes were sampled? A tasting party does seem like the ideal way to experiment. I wonder how long it will take me to try out Absomphe's and Hiram's recommendations at $100.00 a bottle?

Oh well, it ensures an enjoyable future.

As per the storage discussion, I will recork with the orrigional (which I saved). I wonder how much of that crumbly wax seal got into the bottle when I opened it?

You can always strain it with a tea strainer. I don't recommend filtering it; you might screw it up.

We were talking about an amusing incident at the first Wormwood Society tasting where Conju brought some small samples of an artisanal product but all he had to put it in were those tiny little plastic shampoo bottles from the hotel. He washed them out real good, though.

We had in the neighborhood of twenty different absinthes at that party, which is about average; and it was in a member's beautiful home. That's the place we want to have NYE, but I think the fellow is out of town on a mountain somewhere, because I haven't heard back from him in some time.