Sign in to follow this  
Marlow

Are you reading this, Ted Breaux?

Please consider a new supplier of corks for Jade absinthes. The trademark disintegrating variety currently used to seal your very expensive bottles is not very pleasing to deal with. I have once again had to decant an entire bottle in order to strain out the crumbs.

For you absinthe distiller's on the forum, how much of a problem is oxidation?

??? I've opened 7 assorted bottles of Jade to date and have not (yet) had any cork crumble on me.

Were the bottles stored on their sides, perhaps? The high alcohol would weaken the corks, though I don't know how quickly.

I've heard that even the corks are made the old-school way. Just a rumor coming from me but it seems likely.

Only the earlier bottles we bought really had this problem. After uncorking we use stoppers since the cork is usually not the best after getting it out.

We still open the bottles very carefully. If we had a bigger Jade habit I would've probably purchased a Butler's Friend by now.

One thing is for sure, we will have one of those handy gadgets for pre-ban, if not something fancier once we get a full bottle and not samples.

After uncorking we use stoppers

I actually go a step further but only because I'm ridiculously anal and obsessive.... All my Jades (and other favorites) are stored and served from 19th century bottles with (reproduction) suitably appropriate 19th century labels. Whenever I open a new bottle I transfer the contents to an antique bottle. Same with Cognac, which goes into an original etched 1865 vintage 'Fine Champagne' Cognac from Ch. Lafot.

Yeah, it's silly, but I enjoy using these lovely, crude, handblown bottles. And how better to enjoy Jade 1901 than from an original Pernod bottle with huge bubbles and other flaws typical of handblown glass?

(I did say I was obsessive.)

I use a butler's friend now so I have no problem with this, but I do notice that the Jade-corks have been prone to fall apart a little.

Seems to be better lately, but it might just be me being more careful..

Georges: The perfect kind of silly:) Before I got other gadgets I used to use a old PF bottle as a water carafe. Works great actually!

I use a butler's friend

Jade-corks seems to be better lately,

The '13 Jade corks seem to be of a stronger, more pliable design, and are not stamped with the Jade emblem as before. So I believe that issue had been heeded and addressed.

The two pronger is all I use for corks anymore. Used to use the fancy schmancy rabbit ear Houdini, 'til a mishap and a certain thread here somewhere taught me the error of my ways. It is definitely the way to go. Especially if you want to preserve your corks for reuse.

If I had the means and the wherewithall, I would have this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Butlers-Friend-Corkscrew/dp/B007EFBVDY

41grXvT-73L._SY300_.jpg

Off-topic but following up on my comment about using old glass, here's a quick photo of part of my liquor cabinet. It's shallow, only two bottles deep, but I have two long shelves that hold a lot. I have 6 rebottled absinthes across the front. I'll add more as I dig through my stuff in the garage and find the rest of my ancient bottles that have been squirreled away since I retired from the wine business.

Yeah, I know, except for the Pernod (with appropriate shoulder seal) these are 75ml wine bottles, not 1L absinthe. Shoot me. They're fine for filling from modern 70cl bottles (European standard).

Left to right:

-- Butterfly. I Photoshopped an original generic label to add the name, including Bugnon's, so there's no doubt what's in the bottle.

-- Jade Edouard. Stunningly crude bottle with tons of bubbles, impurities, and striations. A suitable Edouard label of the era.

-- Jade 1901. Original Pernod bottle but repro label.

-- Jade NO. This is the only one that can't be immediately identified by the label. Since NO isn't based on a specific vintage recipe I just opted to use a Lacaux label since I think it's one of the most stunning original absinthe label designs, and I have an original Lacaux spoon. The bottle is so crude it doesn't stand up straight.

-- Jade VS 1898. Based on Berger so obviously a copy of an original Berger label suits it.

-- Emile Pernot Authentique. This is a wildly crude bottle with a shoulder seal reading "S. Lognac." Probably a wine négociant but what the heck. I used another generic label of the era, Photoshopped it with the Lognac and Pernot names and Authentique. Again, no way I could forget what's really in it.

On the rare occasion that I have friends over who enjoy absinthe, it's a trip to put out an array of these. For that matter, even when I'm alone I enjoy handling these ancient bottles.

post-4189-0-36026600-1408574368_thumb.jpg

Songcatcher: I think you are right, I just checked one now and the cork does seem sturdier.

The opener looks great. I just switched from a new modern Ah-So to a vintage one, and the vintage one is very much better.

(Thinner metal, easier on old corks.) I think I picked up the tip in here somewhere.

Georges:
Not bad!
For the NO, why not mix things up even more, and slap on a original of the one Jade's inspired by:

http://www.todocoleccion.net/etiqueta-absenta-suisse-p-c-neufchatel-absinthe~x15278224

:)
I have one. Though I have to say the new "copy" by Jade is much nicer, with its embossed embroidery:)

The consensus over on the French forum is that NO is Breaux's hommage to Legendre Absinthe, which became Herbsaint after Prohibition. Not an identical recipe, but inspired by. To that end I found photos of pre-Herbsaint bottles that were labeled as absinthe. I'm going to Photoshop something reasonably close to original and use that for the NO, and put another absinthe into the Lacaux-labeled bottle. Seems appropriate. ;)