Sign in to follow this  
50p

Death in the afternoon

Hello!

I was hoping for some advice on how to mix a death in the afternoon, I have absinthe and champagne of course but I'm not sure on ratios, or if I ought to add anything else? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks :)

I'm not convinced that it was intended to be a real drink. It was, after all, written for a book intended to be humorous: So Red The Nose, or, Breath In The Afternoon.

I've tried it with a number of different absinthes and a number of different champagnes, but in every case when it was made according to Hemingway's instructions it was so absolutely horrid that I refused to pretend that I liked it:

"Pour one jigger [1.5 oz] absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly."

Seriously? An ounce and a half of absinthe, topped up with enough champagne to make it louche?

Try this: 1/4oz absinthe, 1/2oz Cointreau, top with champagne.

I've always thought it needed a very sweet sparkler or some other form of sugar. I just saw a recipe the other day that called for a pretty good amount (like .5 oz) of simple syrup. Can't remember where it is now. Just remember carbonation makes things taste more acidic, drier, and it amplifies flavors.

I've only made them on a couple of occasions - agree with Gwydion as they are a bit vile. Not a great combo at 1:4 or 1:5 - in my opinion, anyway.

(I'm not big on sparkling though)

I really enjoy these. I'll pour two ounces of Kübler or clandestine into a champagne flute and then fill with prosecco / champagne. The taste is something you'll have to get used to but in my experience the sparkling counterpart really intensifies the experience. :euro:

I'll have to cosign with Gwydion and Joseph- Death in the Afternoon is a terrible drink, even when top shelf absinthe and champagne is used. But hey- try anything once, you know?

I use Brut Champagne. Extra Brut if I can find it.

I found out that a bartender in town had to use sweet prosecco so he also added damiana extract (not the liqueur) specifically to cut the sweetness. His DITAs have a following and were better than what I could do so I went dry and viola, problem solved. Sweet bubbly just seems to not work well for me. For my friends who like sweet (or like to believe they do) I just drop a sugar cube in there which makes a nice visual effect with the sparkling (or I let Amber make them one with moscato, which she loves and I find gross).

I also always use a lemon twist.

Yes, the amount of absinthe in the original recipe as well as suggested imbibing is overboard. About a 1:7 ratio seems to be just fine which in my champagne flutes measure to .75oz absinthe and just top it off with champagne. I cut people off after two... usually.

I'll have to cosign with Gwydion and Joseph- Death in the Afternoon is a terrible drink...

What they said.

Edited by Absomphe

I used la clandestine and a brut, thanks to everyone for the advice, i think i may steer clear of these in favor of normally prepared absinthe in the future.

I'm not convinced that it was intended to be a real drink. It was, after all, written for a book intended to be humorous: So Red The Nose, or, Breath In The Afternoon.

I've tried it with a number of different absinthes and a number of different champagnes, but in every case when it was made according to Hemingway's instructions it was so absolutely horrid that I refused to pretend that I liked it:

"Pour one jigger [1.5 oz] absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly."

Seriously? An ounce and a half of absinthe, topped up with enough champagne to make it louche?

Try this: 1/4oz absinthe, 1/2oz Cointreau, top with champagne.

I poured and ounce of Ridge verte with enough Toques Et Clochers to make it louche and it was actually quite refreshing and drinkable on a warm day. Not something id regularly prefer to a normal absinthe drip but i was worth a try in my opinion.

I enjoy a Death in the afternoon any time i have an open bottle of champagne left over in the fridge in need of consumption. I would never open a bottle with the intent of making one however.