Sign in to follow this  
JosephLabrecque

Astor Wines - Spirits Regulations?

So Astor is having a nice little sale on American absinthes. Wanted to pick some up and get this at checkout:

Currently spirits are only available for shipment within New York State.

I inquired via Twitter and got a strange response...

https://twitter.com/astorwines/status/483670193319993344

Anyone have some substantial info on this? What's the deal?

Try the other online shops within N.Y. they may not have absinthe on sale but a good way to find out about that crap. I thought the regs. only pertained to usps.

Did you choose overnight express ? They maybe sticking to the FAA rules prohibiting high abv. spirits. Retry your order using ground service and see if it gets kicked back.

For Delaware Phoenix spirits (absinthe and whiskey), they can be purchased from Catskill Cellars which ships to many states. This is the only option for now.

I do not have any information about their reasons other than what has been provided.

Rob - no matter what option I choose. Even next day.

Cheryl - thanks. I have used CC before and they are always awesome :)

I'm more just curious why this is happening. It's just really strange.

Something similar happened to me with Astor. I live in Missouri. Had ordered from them beforehand a shipment of one bottle of absinthe was requested by Astor to be returned. UPS was carrier. I never got a straight answer what had happened. This was about three months ago. I use another company now for absinthes I cannot get here. And Astor never responded the my email questions. Curious.

I never ordered from Astor, because the one time I called, the salesman was snide and rude. This was years ago, but with the great service at other places like CC and DUNY, there was no reason to ever think about them again.