#1 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hello from Long Beach, CA!

Firstly, i am what you seem to consider a "lurker" at this time, i've been reading alot of reviews/instructions/comments on this wonderful site for a while now, and have finally decided to jump in, register, and start to communicate :wave2: 

The first thing i noticed in reading the information in the forums? It seems there is a wealth of information, and knowledge readily available for the taking, which is awesome and much appreciated!

At this very moment, i have honestly not even wet my lips yet with this elixir (SP) you call Absinthe, but maybe 15 years ago i had developed an interest in trying, and, i think at that time it was not so easy to get (or maybe impossible to get in the US?),. It wasnt again until maybe 2 years ago that i started running across info, and it seemed that Absinthe could be either bought, or shipped into the US, so i started doing some more research, and although it kind of petered out again, i am now truly ready for my first experience.

Rather than bore you into tears, or ask a bunch of unfounded questions at this time, i will simply state that i have ordered 2 different bottles to try, and when they arrive i will give a few tries before checking back in with any comments/questions.

For now, i just wanted to auickly say HI!, and hope to be back soon for which i assume will be the start of a great learning experience for me personally.

Nice to meet you all!!!!

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I couldn't read the font at all, so I won't respond to anything specific you said, but welcome anyway! :)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

What'd ya get?

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#4 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

:cheers:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#5 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#6 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi and welcome!

#7 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your purchase...

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

#9 kbray0223

kbray0223

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

Welcome!

#10 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,600 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Greetings! :cheers: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#11 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome(s), and for Brian, sorry about the fonts, ill correct that going forward :unsure: To Songcatcher, here is what i bought to start with:

1) La Clandestine Blue

2) Pernot Vieux Pontarlier

~I based these 2 purchases on the reviews, and comments from your site, and of course, i have no idea what to expect when they arrive, but, i am extremely anxious to give them a try.....

~If i made any mistakes in the names, please feel free to correct as needed, it won't hurt my feelings :twitchsmile:

#12 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Good call. Couldn't have picked two better choices to start with.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#13 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

Welcome!   :cheers:

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#14 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Hey Songcatcher - Awesome, thats great. I actually put alot of time, and consideration into my first choices, so im happy to see your positive comment on that!

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Fantastic start.  I love seeing so many people not having to start with the dreck that us old fogies had at our disposal. 

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#17 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Howdy!

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#18 Jim Mtnherbs

Jim Mtnherbs

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Cheers!! :cheers:

#19 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Greetings and salutations from a fellow subject in Kommiefornia, Norwalk/Cerritos area.

I am in agreement that you have made sound choices in your first order. How are you on hardware? You gotta have the right glass, spoon, brullier or fountain, etc., other wise, it may not taste right :reaper: (I frequently use that as justification to order more paraphernalia).

Enjoy

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#20 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hi Misanthrope, or better known as "neighbor" in this case :wave2: I do have the glasses and spoons ready to go, and i see there are alot of accessories that may need to be acquired at some point (actually seems this could be a quite expensive "hobby" if one allows it to be), so for now i am good to go i think (will have to rig some kind of dripper for the first few tries), but, hope it works out ok....Since you are close, are there any bars in our area that actually serve Absinthe? I would like to go somewhere, and try it that way as well, just for another reference point in my learning experience?

#21 kbray0223

kbray0223

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Fantastic start.  I love seeing so many people not having to start with the dreck that us old fogies had at our disposal. 

Personally, I think partaking of the "dreck" is part of the initiation. How can you appreciate the salvation of the finer stuff if you haven't worked through the sin of paraking of the crap? -tongue in cheek-

#22 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Welcome! Awesome choices to start with.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#23 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Welcome! I also approve your choices!  :cheerz:

Hi Misanthrope, or better known as "neighbor" in this case :wave2: I do have the glasses and spoons ready to go, and i see there are alot of accessories that may need to be acquired at some point (actually seems this could be a quite expensive "hobby" if one allows it to be), so for now i am good to go i think (will have to rig some kind of dripper for the first few tries), but, hope it works out ok....Since you are close, are there any bars in our area that actually serve Absinthe? I would like to go somewhere, and try it that way as well, just for another reference point in my learning experience?

The Mesa Lounge at Costa Mesa seems to have a good selection, judging by photos they have posted on some of the social media (although not on their website).

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#24 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hi Alan Moss - Thanks for the link, i actually bought one bottle down in CM, at Hi Time liquers down there...

#25 Ghostorm

Ghostorm

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Welcome! :cheerz:

#26 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hey there! :wave2:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 19 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#27 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

The only place I've been to recently that hasn't made me cringe when offering absinthe has been Jack's Tea Room in Long Beach. Most places want to light it on fire or mix with water way to quickly, etc.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#28 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hello again - Maybe my final comment in this "newby" section, but, I have had the LCB several nights in a row now (1 each night)..The first one i tried without any sugar, and the alcohol taste was a little stronger than i had expected, but, i sipped the drink, and was very surprised at the "explosion" of different tastes and layered flavors that occur in each drink - It seems with each drink taken, there is also an opposite "need" to take another drink shortly afterwards. The next 3 nights, i have been adding 2 small sugar cubes to get closer to a smooth taste i was expecting, and that seems to accomplish the taste i was looking for, but, also for some reason, sort of completed the full, complex consistancy i wanted to enjoy, and i can see why there is an appreciated love of this drink many/most of you already have. The other part of this experience that was not as expected, was the full body type of "high" that one encounters (quite similar to another popular herb that is smoked or ingested) - Its unlike a normal alcohol "drunk" feeling, for some reason the herbs seem to have a smooth, allover body effect that is quite nice to be honest (sort of medicinal in value). I am at this time anxious to try a couple of other brands, but, i think this will be something that will be enjoyed for many years to come, and i plan to keep a few different bottles around to enjoy frequently.....

#29 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Just curious - how much water are you adding to the LCB? 1:3? 1:5? I'm surprised you found it to be strong in alcohol taste and in need of sugar.

#30 Ready_to_rock

Ready_to_rock

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hi Joseph - I used the 3:1 ration for all attempts so far, and may play with that slighly in the next few nights....The alcohol taste i am desribing was some initial smell, and some taste mainly upon swallowing, not so much during the beginning tastes...It wasnt a deal killer, just wanted a more smottoh effect for whatever reason, and the 2 small sugar cubes i did use, were very small, so i didnt really add alot of sugar to correct. Another small note that may apply here - I was a heavy drinker for 20 years, but, pretty much stopped for the most part of the last 6 or 7 years (not for any reason other than i just got tired of that feeling one gets from hard liqueur and/or many bottles of beer each day)...I will still experimant with less or no sugar, but, at this time, i am really enjoyiong the full bodied taste and consistency with a little added sugar..I do appreciate any and all comments, and hope to learn more as i go along....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association