Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Fassett's 65 Absinthe, Carbon Glacier Distillery, WA

The video was... barely watchable, sadly (yeah, I skipped around quite a bit).

They did have some nice things to say about the Wormwood Society though. I would be interested in hearing more about this absinthe in a more formal (and much more FOCUSED) review.

[1] The video was... barely watchable, sadly (yeah, I skipped around quite a bit).

They did have some nice things to say about the Wormwood Society though. [2] I would be interested in hearing more about this absinthe in a more formal (and much more FOCUSED) review.

[1]. Yes. Two seemingly intelligent guys trying to act dumb -- and succeeding.

[2]. Me too. I couldn't bear to watch long enough to hear what these two had to say about it.

There's nothing less funny than someone trying to be forcefully funny and falling short. This guy, Derrick Schommer, has been trying to be Gary Vaynerchuk for years and has never quite measured up. Every video of his I have ever seen has been, at the least, painful, let alone the fact that they're usually rife with a dilettantes depth of understanding, and incorrect information to the extent that it renders them a total fucking waste of time. Fortunately they are not all this long.

less funny , trying to be, falling short, never quite measured up, painful, dilettantes depth of understanding, incorrect information, total fucking waste of time.

Yup.

I couldn't bear to watch the video. However, I am curious about this absinthe being it is distilled one county away from us and I've never heard of them. I also wonder if they are using actual pontica in the final flavoring/coloring step.

Sorry you guys don't like our video's, but I'll live with that because I know not everyone's going to like the content or the show. It's unfortunate that people think I'm "trying" to be like Gary V or that I'm working hard to act funny. This is me, it's my personality and not everyone's going to like my personality and I'm okay with it. Although, I am always a bit saddened to see a bunch of folks crap on me for my effort to try to get product information to people, to show off new brands and get the casual consumer into something new (most people believe absinthe is some dark and dangerous product that shouldn't be touched by humans). Although, I do put myself out there and Youtube is rife with individuals that would rather tell me how stupid I am and that I'm wasting their time but don't actually do anything themselves to try to change the world.

As for my humor... I've never liked the Three Stooges, I don't find them funny at all but as it turns out, there are plenty of people that do. I don't understand it, but I do understand that everyones taste is different, just like it is for spirits. Of course, I'm used to the negative response by some individuals (ironically they're usually from groups that are experts in some segment of information / reddit/ or from 'craft bartenders' that call me an idiot) but I get so many great e-mails from folks that have watched the show and became inspired to learn more and take it to the next level. Some have gotten jobs here in the US as bartenders or barbacks and we've had that effect for a few folks in Canada, Germany and Australia. I love hearing the great things people have to say about our show, especially those in the Armed Forces that write in and tell us how we made them laugh and changed their mood for the day while away from home fighting of their country.

It's heartwarming to say the least. But, that's always counter balanced by someone telling me that I'm horrible, useless, not funny or don't know anything. :-) But that's for all your inspirational thoughts, makes my morning just a bit more dreary.

Hi Derrick, and welcome to the Wormwood Society. :cheers:

On behalf of the organization—as I wouldn't presume to speak for others here—I want to apologize for the tone and personal nature of the criticism in this thread. We do get a bit cocky and insular from time to time.

While your particular format isn't my cup of tea either, you make a very valid point. Your videos reach and appeal to demographics that rock star bartenders, cocktail writers, and the Wormwood Society might not.

I hope we get a chance to sit down to a glass of absinthe together some day, but you have to promise not to yell. ;)

Derrick, I had no problem with the video and enjoyed the WWS shoutout and the information given, but I can see why others can find the whole "energy" of it annoying. With the internet you need to have thick skin and just "do you" man. Also listen to I Am That I Am by Peter Tosh. It's a class reggae tune and has a message you need to hear now.

Sorry you guys don't like our video's, but I'll live with that because I know not everyone's going to like the content or the show. It's unfortunate that people think I'm "trying" to be like Gary V or that I'm working hard to act funny. This is me, it's my personality and not everyone's going to like my personality and I'm okay with it. Although, I am always a bit saddened to see a bunch of folks crap on me for my effort to try to get product information to people, to show off new brands and get the casual consumer into something new (most people believe absinthe is some dark and dangerous product that shouldn't be touched by humans). Although, I do put myself out there and Youtube is rife with individuals that would rather tell me how stupid I am and that I'm wasting their time but don't actually do anything themselves to try to change the world.

As for my humor... I've never liked the Three Stooges, I don't find them funny at all but as it turns out, there are plenty of people that do. I don't understand it, but I do understand that everyones taste is different, just like it is for spirits. Of course, I'm used to the negative response by some individuals (ironically they're usually from groups that are experts in some segment of information / reddit/ or from 'craft bartenders' that call me an idiot) but I get so many great e-mails from folks that have watched the show and became inspired to learn more and take it to the next level. Some have gotten jobs here in the US as bartenders or barbacks and we've had that effect for a few folks in Canada, Germany and Australia. I love hearing the great things people have to say about our show, especially those in the Armed Forces that write in and tell us how we made them laugh and changed their mood for the day while away from home fighting of their country.

It's heartwarming to say the least. But, that's always counter balanced by someone telling me that I'm horrible, useless, not funny or don't know anything. :-) But that's for all your inspirational thoughts, makes my morning just a bit more dreary.

One thing I would like to say about your video: at 18:05 you say

"...some people say that thu-jon is a hallucinogen so you can hallucinate... TRUE. With hallucinogens you can indeed hallucinate. However the amount of thu-jon in absinthe is so low...", and then you go on to explain that such a minute amount will not have an effect. But a bit later your buddy says something along the lines of "around 45mg/lt that's where it might be questionable" etc etc.

This is actually NOT TRUE. No amount of thu-jon will make anybody hallucinate ever, because thu-jon is not a hallucinogenic chemical. A lot of people, myself included, have tasted absinthes with up to 100mg/lt of thu-jon and no effects were reported. In fact the most you can (not) hope for ingesting a very high dose of thu-jon is convulsions and death.

The idea that yeah there is something to thu-jon but as long as it's in small doses it's ok is just an evolution of the original nonsensical idea that absinthe was a drug. You know, since obviously no one ever hallucinated after drinking absinthe, the best the charlatans could come up with is that you don't hallucinate just because there isn't enough thu-jon in today's absinthe, etc etc.

Since I understand that you are trying to make information, I would suggest you to rectify that part.