21 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

This is the brand that was being talked about last year in the 'Pernod Absinthe Superieure' thread.

Review page added.

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

Surprisingly, I have not been able to get a hold of it locally (seeing how every single bottle shop carries Pernod and Ricard), but I will certainly make every effort to. Maybe they're looking for more sales data before shipping em en masse. I expect good things...

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

It's being rolled out to stores as the current Pernod Absinthe stock is sold out.  So, in some markets it's already available.  In others, it might be a few months or longer.  I wouldn't be surprised if it starts appearing in the online retailers soon.

As I mentioned in my review, it won't replace the craft brands like those made by a lot of the producer members here, but it will be a nice staple.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

Looking forward to seeing it in a bar to try a glass.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#5 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I recently bought a bottle of Jade 1901 (or should it actually be Jade PF 1901?) and I'd really like to make a side by side comparison between this and the new formula/original recipe of Pernod Absinthe. How long I'll have to wait for this I don't know. Being European (Swedish) it seems that Pernod Ricard is focusing on the US or American market primarily? Are they?

The only vintage I've tried (so far) is Pernod Fils Tarragona (from the 1950's-60's) but I'll have to say, as a novice, that I found it pretty bleak compared to Jade 1901. Maybe my taste buds was not calibrated enough or maybe I diltuted it a bit too much, but I also find that Jade 1901 can be really well diluted. Some time (in a distant future) I've got to try also the actual vintage (pre-ban) PF to find out for myself if the Jade is more reminiscent of this than the Tarragona variant.

By the way: Just before New Years Eve I had a glass of the "old" Pernod (Ricard) Absinthe, in a bar, but it was really pretty much a :no: :no: so it'll be interesting to find out the improvement(s). The "old" Pernod Absinthe Supérieure was nothing like Tarragona at all, and certainly not the slightest like Jade 1901.

Edited by SethP, 23 March 2014 - 07:41 PM.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

There's no comparison to be made. They aren't really in any way similar.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

Something tells me that it is so, Brian.

But I have to try the new ;) recipe anyway... some day... preferably as cheap as possible.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#8 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

If you're in the Los Angeles area, The Beverage Warehouse in Culver City has some bottles of the Pernod Original Recipe; unfortunately it's $10 more than the Pacifique.

Edited by stardust, 30 March 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#9 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Well. That's a pretty easy decision right there.

#10 gherrin

gherrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Although not an " expert" in absinthes, I am finishing my third bottle of of Pernod Absinthe Oringinal Decipe. Tastes differ; some like one thing, others prefer something else. But this absinthe has an excellent taste, with various flavors and deep aromas and it pleases me very much. I do not know the history of others with Pernod, but this Pernod will remain on my shelf....until empty and then I shall purchase another. I am most thankful that here in SW Missouri, I can find Pernod Absinthe and the complexity of flavors, aroma, and taste that it has to offer. This is absinthe and there is nothing false about it. Enjoy. I am most pleased that the "original recipe" has been resurrected. To all, I drink to your health.

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Gherrin, glad you like it.  It's nice to be able to find something you enjoy on the shelves.  There are certain things that I don't care for (the nettles used in the coloration step lend a very strange flavor and aftertaste), but each person's tastes are different.  The stranger part is that what's being bottled here is not at all the same as what's being bottled in the EU, even with the same label.

Also, it grinds my gears that they portray this as their 'Original Recipe', when it's clear that it's not.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I think that there is a subtle but real difference between the meanings of "The Original Recipe" (as approved by the TTB), and "Original Recipe" (as on the label now being used in the USA).

Note that the European label states "Recette Traditionnelle" which has a further different meaning ("Traditional Recipe"). 

We discussed and then tasted at least 6 different Pernod absinthes at the Absinthe Festival this weekend, From 1905, through Tarragona, and then to a selection of the current new/old Pernod. We're still confused!

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#13 gherrin

gherrin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

That is a quite complicated timeline. Does anyone have a clear description/history of various recipes ?

#14 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I think you can be rest assured that the current "Original Recipe" is NOT the original recipe from the original Pernod Fils. While this may be an "original" recipe for the current product, the pre-ban product is night-and-day different from the current offering by my humble palate.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#15 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

They don't claim that this is the pre-ban recipe that we are more likely to be familiar with (e.g. 1905, 1910 etc). On their new (and now updated) website, they write:

"One century after the ban, the spirit produced from wormwood returns in the closest possible recreation of the original Pernod Absinthe from 1805."

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#16 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

How strange - wonder why they wouldn't go for something around 1900 instead? 100 years of further refinements and as Marc noted - very different from preban c1900. 

Having almost emptied my bottle... I'd say my initial review still stands. Despite positive aspects, I probably won't be purchasing another bottle with all of the better options to consider. If this were the only absinthe available in my area... and I was just getting acquainted with the spirit... I'm sure that I would be happy enough with it. 

#17 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

They don't claim that this is the pre-ban recipe that we are more likely to be familiar with (e.g. 1905, 1910 etc). On their new (and now updated) website, they write:

"One century after the ban, the spirit produced from wormwood returns in the closest possible recreation of the original Pernod Absinthe from 1805."

Correct, they are not outright claiming it to be the pre-ban recipe. But by putting "Original Recipe" on the label it appears they are trying to influence perception to the customer that this current product is THE same recipe as the pre-ban Pernod Fils.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#18 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:32 AM

And by saying this is the "closest possible recreation" they imply that their product is closer to pre-ban over all others.

Given that most people who walk into a liquor store will never taste real pre-ban, the customer will consider this to be close enough. Given the distribution and marketing power of Pernod-Ricard you can be certain it will be readily available.

Their only challenge will be most liquor store owners think they need an absinthe brand on the shelf like they need a hole in the head.

Cheryl

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#19 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

I've tried to be supportive of Pernod-Ricard in this effort because of this very fact. This absinthe will be *everywhere* because they have the distribution others lack. My hope is that newcomers who begin with Pernod OR or Lucid (instead of some rancid swill like Absente or La Fee) will appreciate the spirit and want to explore additional regional, top-tier options such as Leopold Bros., Delaware Phoenix, Pacifique, Marteau, et cetera.  

Anything that pushes quality up and raises awareness is a good thing. 

Those liquor stores that either won't sell absinthe or only sell crap brands... I have no idea how to help those fellows...

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

That's not the worse reasoning I've heard.  How dare you be all rational 'n' shit? ;)

#21 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Agree with Joseph. In that so many bars and stores just don't have the space, or the demand  for more brands. 

For a place that only has one brand available, better to have new Pernod than Absente.

And globally I would like to see PR's marketing power push aside the Hills and and other faux products.

So, in a way, I would like to see Pernod make a 'pretty good,' but not great product.

Just good enough that people will want to try more brands.

#22 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Damn! Forgot to include Vilya in that list!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association