jimzuma

Hangover Prevention

Rules of thumb...

1. Lighter the better. Red wine is the worst, then brown liquors, and beers (dark bocks and such are the worst), then rums. Vodka's are by far the safest.

2. Better quality = less worry. There is a REASON that super-premuim costs 3 times as much beyond just tasting better (and sounding cooler to order)- Extra care in production and distillation have removed more impurities, tails, vapors, and other random shit from the finished product. Maybe it was thrice+ distilled? Maybe it was filtered a couple extra times. Either way, it'll make you feel a LOT better the next day.

3. Water! Or better yet, a water+sugar+salt combo, like gatoraid, Propel, etc.

4. Vitamin E- I've sworn by it for years. A buddy told me it is depleted from the liver after drinking, I started taking them before drinking, and I get fewer hangovers. Good nuff for me.

Back in the 40's & 50's a lot of pharmacies had spirits of ammonia (a solution of ammonium carbonate in ammonia water and alcohol) which you could order at the soda fountain.

I shouldn't be too quick to start guzzling floor cleanser, is what you're telling me. Life is certainly looking up!

Hey, Larsy. Vodka doesn't level me, but gin (a light spirit) sure does. With gin, I have to limit myself to one drink. Bourbon, on the other hand, I can drink 'til the bed falls on grandpa. Go figure. Individual body chemistry must play a part in all this.

I unfortunately don't get hangovers, so I can't really provide any words of wisdom for how to avoid/cure them...

Although I did find the information in this book to be an interesting read (although he did take a long time to cover it, seemed like he had a good "paper" and then expanded it to a book). Basically written by a California nutritionalist, taking a "sunblock" approach to the affects of drinking.

155950188X.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

I had a friend who swore by these RU-21 thingies. I was never convinced and tended to opt for the moderation and/or lots-of-water route. Having said that, I have never had an absinthe hangover.

What always amused me about the RU-21 was that I think you're supposed to pop one for every glass you drink. Provoked some interesting scenes in pubs here...

Water is the key to feeling human in the morning, seconded by a couple capsules of B-complex vitamins. Alcohol destroys B vitamins so this makes sense.

I unfortunately don't get hangovers

Ye gods, how do you do it? Myself, I subscribe to the water/hydration solution. Works for me every time. Then again, I am a rather moderate drinker, so have rarely had bad hangovers anyway.

Drinkboy, are you saying you never suffer (despite drinking) or that you have a drinking regimen that works for you? Tolerance vs. natural resistance?

I like this quote from the site recommended by Hiram:

Headaches result from dehydration because the body's organs try to make up for their own water loss by stealing water from the brain, causing the brain to decrease in size and pull on the membranes that connect the brain to the skull, resulting in pain.

Shrunken brain syndrome. I hate it when that happens...

One of those inscrutable Southern expressions, meaning "'til the cows come home." Theories abound as to what grandpa is doing under the bed in the first place. It's probably better not to know.

Drinkboy, are you saying you never suffer (despite drinking) or that you have a drinking regimen that works for you?  Tolerance vs. natural resistance?

What I'm saying is that I hear all of these horror stories about wanting to die the next morning, headaches, acute nausia, spins, etc. And the worse that I ever feel is having "dry-mouth".

I do drink in moderation. I do (often) try to drink water along with my cocktails (I notice that this prevents the dry-mouth the next morning). But even though I from time-to-time get totally ripped (but not often, getting "drunk" is no fun), I've never suffered from anything more then feeling a little lathargic, and sometimes a very slight headache, which dissapates quickly.

Yes, serious hangovers happen to people who drink like it's a race. I can think of one individual in particular that I'm almost certain had a hangover after New Year's. I think Mylo has competition.

I can personally attest to the moderation method. The 12+ hours of straight drinking for 3 days in a row at Allentown last year didn't give me more than a mild headache on one occasion.