#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Review page here.

I saw that the brand owner recently joined the forum here.  I hope we can engage in some informative and education discourse, because this type of 'marketing via myth' can be a terribly detrimental tactic to the absinthe category.

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriťtaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Let's hope for the best.  It's unfortunate that the Kickstarter campaign has been so successful; it's hard to ask someone to give back $15,000 because they're selling a spurious product.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I knew the infused-vodka as absinthe con-artists were getting money but I never thought there were enough suckers in the world to fund a kickstarter. Three times over it seems, I give humanity too much credit sometimes.

Incredibly it's just a kit with a variety of herbs. If you know where to get or how to grow herbs you can cut the personal cost significantly and have "refills" growing in your backyard. 

There are better things to do with everclear.

Since gin is actually defined as a spirit category I wonder if the TTB would take issue with their macerate hokey-pokey of gin?

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#4 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Possibly but they probably have bigger fish to fry, for a while.  The FDA would probably have more interest.

Gin macerate goes by a couple of different names including Genebra.  One reportedly good recipe is as follows:

1500ml of vodka

20 grams dried juniper berries (about ¼ cup)
8 grams whole coriander, crushed (about 2 tbsp.)
2 grams dried orange peel (about 1½ tsp.)
2 grams dried lemon peel (about 1 tsp.)
3 grams whole cinnamon (about 1 stick)
1 whole cardamom pod, crushed

Use a mortar and pestle to break up the coriander and cardamom before adding them to the other dry ingredients.

Once you’re certain that everything has been measured correctly, place the herbs into a large resealable jar and add the vodka.

Place the jar in a dark, room-temperature spot for one week, and be sure to give the jar a good shake at least once a day.

Next strain the mixture through cheesecloth.  You've made gin!

Have a Martini, Negroni or a Gin and Tonic.

Or go crazy and grab a bottle of Voyager or (dare I say) Silvertip and run your own comparison study.

There is a reason you don't see many macerate gins on the liquor store shelves.  ;)

#5 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

This thread is kinda grossing me out. I wouldn't drink anything that was born from mixing a bunch of stuff into a... jar.

#6 Trinity Absinthe

Trinity Absinthe

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Sad part is that people who should really know better--not just randomly conned internet customers--buy into the mix-it-yourself "absinthe" making scheme. A local bar-that-shall-not-be-named won't stock absinthe because he "makes plenty of his own" so there "isn't a need for more"

:puke:

#7 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Yes, know-it-all bartenders can be the worst! 

#8 autopsy

autopsy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I don't understand why anyone would buy a premade bottle of wine. I prefer to make it myself using Welch's Grape and vodka. Way better than the crap at stores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association