19 replies to this topic

#1 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hello all, picked up a bottle of Taboo absinthe made in Vernon BC locally. Feel fantastic after a few drinks. I never really drink at all but this relaxes me after hours. Listening to lp's is a whole new experience.

Looking for suggestions on alternatives to Taboo (not a knock on quality but low thugeon level - 10mg/kg).

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Please keep reading.  Soon, you will learn that thujone is meaningless to good absinthe.  Allow me to repeat that:  Thujone is

MEANINGLESS!

That said, there are some great absinthes available, now.  Personally, I was pleased with Taboo (the fruit base was very interesting) but there are many, many

more choices waiting for you to discover.  Forget the Thujone and get ready for a really cool beverage. 

Welcome to the Forum.

#3 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#4 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Interesting Joe. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Hello Ambear.

#5 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Welcome and cheers DPT! :cheers:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Feel fantastic after a few drinks. I never really drink at all but this relaxes me after hours. Listening to lp's is a whole new experience.

Yep, alcohol will do that. Especially if you're an infrequent drinker.

Looking for suggestions on alternatives to Taboo (not a knock on quality but low thugeon level - 10mg/kg).

I think you mean 10mg/l, or 10ppm, thujone.  That equates to 0.00001%.  Even ten times that amount, 100ppm, is only 0.0001%. Like Joe said, meaningless. In higher doses, thujone isn't going to make you feel good—that's not what it does—it's going to make you feel like you're poisoned and having seizures, because you would be.

Systematic Misinformation about Thujone in Pre-ban Absinthe

Written by Dirk W. Lachenmeier and David Nathan-Maister

Thursday, 31 May 2007 19:00

Summary
The media coverage about absinthe, a bitter spirit containing wormwood (Artemisia absinthum L.), continues to repeat unsubstantiated myths and legends and the public is systematically misinformed. Especially, the theory about a significant thujone content in absinthe must be put into perspective as there are a number of different wormwood chemotypes with a large variance in thujone content (0–70.6 % in essential oil) from which a mean thujone content of about 20 mg/l in distilled absinthe with a large standard deviation of up to 20 mg/l may be calculated. However, a higher thujone amount of 260 mg/l derived from erroneous and out-ofdate calculations is generally presented as “historical content” in addition to reports about unsubstantiated psychoactive or aphrodisiac properties. Other studies used unauthentic recipes with unrealistically high amounts of wormwood that would produce undrinkable bitter products. In general, a previous overestimation of the thujone content of pre-ban absinthe was detected.

Some relevant excerpts:

Absinthe – a bitter spirit containing wormwood (Artemisia absinthium L.) and other herbs – was one of the most popular alcoholic beverages in late 19th century Europe. Renewed interest in absinthe has been raised by the fact that after a century-long prohibition in many European countries, wormwood was re-legalised as an ingredient of alcoholic beverages in 1988, and currently over 100 types of absinthe are legally available.
It is remarkable that the media coverage about absinthe continues to repeat unsubstantiated myths and legends, and in the scientific as well as in the lay literature the public is systematically misinformed.

A wide variation in the oil content of wormwood and even wider variations of the thujone content in the oil is notable. A number of different chemotypes was found in the studies with α-thujone, cis-chrysanthenyl acetate, cis-chrysanthenol, cis-epoxyocimene, sabinyl acetate or bornyl acetate as principal component. Some chemotypes did not contain thujone at all, for example chemotypes from France, Italy, Spain, Lithuania, and Egypt. It is therefore possible to produce absinthe without any thujone.

So much attention is focused on absinthe’s myths and supposed effects that almost everyone has forgotten that it was once a gourmet product with all the finesse of the best high quality spirits. The figure of 260 mg/l of thujone that was repeated over and over might have kept producers at the beginning of the absinthe renaissance in the 1990s from using historical recipes such as those of Duplais. Only in recent years, have a number of authentic distilled absinthes become available on the market. Our analyses showed that such products easily do comply with the thujone maximum limits and this fact may also prove the prior overestimation of the thujone contents.

Download the full article:

acrobat_pdf_icon.png Systematic Misinformation about Thujone in Pre-ban Absinthe,  140k PDF

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Welcome!

Don't chase the green fairy, all you will find are pork chops. Just enjoy absinthe for what it is.

:cheers:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#8 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Just shave the gotee already Evan.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#9 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

One of my favorite Evan avatars, BTW.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#10 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Edited by greytail, 29 January 2014 - 08:47 PM.

Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#11 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Welcome.

#12 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,588 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wazzzzzzzzzzzzup, dood!*

* I actually typed "Greetings!"

If you saw anything else, it was just the thujone playing tricks on your brain. :harhar: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#13 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

deltapapatango this is PBR Streetgang how do you copy? Over.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#14 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Welcome! :cheerz:

#15 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Never get off the boat Songcatcher, unless your going all the way...

Thanks for the welcome greetings everyone.

#16 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Nice to see a fellow Canadian around! Taboo is pretty nice. As one of the easily available locally absinthes I've been able to enjoy it on a few occasions. Definitely do try some other brands. Lucid seems to be all over Canada--I found it to be about the same level of Taboo although it's a pretty different taste--and some places have Clandestine. There's a few other places getting into producing absinthe in Canada so our options should continue to open up. I've also been able to mail order bottles.

#17 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

Have to look around I guess. Heard some rumours of more distillers coming into the game. You order from Germany or US?

#18 tadamick

tadamick

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Welcome!

#19 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Picked up some Pernod and am thinking the higher alcohol level absinthe requires a little sugar.  I dropped a slice of lemon in and liking the taste.

#20 AndrewMTO

AndrewMTO

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Welcome!

Don't chase the green fairy, all you will find are pork chops. Just enjoy absinthe for what it is.

:cheers:

Mmmmmmm, pork chops. Welcome to another Canuck. The people here are passionate about absinthe and I believe that they want you to know the truth about absinthe and the myths around thujone so that you will be able to enjoy a wonderful drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association