Sign in to follow this  
nondual

Dumb question

I just got my Jade Ed today. Is there a proper way to uncork it? It's covered with a wax seal and whatnot and I don't want to accidentally push the cork through or anything.

I SAID it was a dumb question.

Not a dumb question, though the possibilities of funny answers abound. Take a sharp knife and cut excess wax from around the top. Scrape the wax off the top untill you see cork. I doubt that you will be able to push the cork through. Get a good corkscrew and go to town! If you are careful the cork should stay in one piece, although they have been known to break apart(not for me though). Good luck and enjoy! :cheers:

I use one of those rabbit corkscrews (knockoff). Never had a problem. I think mine cost 10 bucks at a Bed, Bath, Beyond.

Just remove the wax, should remove pretty easy with a knife.

I would like to add that it is best to use a true corkscrew, not a cork auger. The difference is a true corkscrew is open down the center, i.e. you can slide a wood matchstick in the center. An auger is solid down the center and will eat up the cork. Not a good thing.

Enjoy! :cheers:

We've had some discussion of expensive, fancy and elaborate ways of opening these waxed bottles.

A simple "Waiter's Friend" corkscrew and some practise is all that is required. You can spend a lot of time and money on gadgets, if you like them for their own sake. But learning to do it with the basic inexpensive tool used by Sommeliers and waiters everywhere is very useful. If you can master the simple tools, you don't have to depend on gadgets. If you do damage the cork, or get a bottle with a fragile cork, a 2 pronged cork puller is a good "situation saver."

WINE LOVER'S COMPANION by Ron Herbst and Sharon Tyler Herbst has a lot of good information about opening and serving that applies to Absinthe well as wine or other corked liquids.

:cheers:

If I remember right fragile corks were a problem with the first batches but that has supposably been fixed. After you remove the wax just open it like a wine bottle, with care if you plan on using the cork to re-seal the bottle.

I would recommend some T-corks to re-seal the bottle with, they work great.

Okay, so I got it open with a rabbit-eared cork auger. It DID chew up the cork a lot, but I bought some of those metal/rubber bottle stops from the wine section of the local Target.

This is my first absinthe experience. It's definitely an interesting taste. I'm on my fourth sip right now.

Has anyone had problems with the Kübler corks?seems the

tops just pull right off... then youve got the stub to deal with.......

I've had that problem with the Clandestine t-corks. I've had 3 bottles of it now, and all 3 had the plastic top of the t-cork pop right off in my hand after about the 3rd or 4th opening. This doesn't happen with the FG or Montmartre, which use better-made t-corks.

All t-corks are not created equal.

I had the same problem with the t-cork from my Kübler 53 bottle. I just leave it protruding slightly and extract it with my teeth. It makes me feel all rustic and manly.

Speaking of cork problems, the worst cork I've ever seen was in a bottle of emile coulin that I had. it started to leak through the cork and the wax seal too. I pulled it out to replace it and was met with what could be more accurately described as a slightly rigid sponge. I could literally use the pressure of thumb and forefinger to compress it to almost half its normal size both side to side and end to end. I still have an unopened first release bottle of NO that I should probably get a replacement stopper for too.

I had the same problem with the t-cork from my Kübler 53 bottle. I just leave it protruding slightly and extract it with my teeth. It makes me feel all rustic and manly.

Same here. I like feeling rustic and manly, but I also like to save some t-corks for use with Jade bottles. For some reason, t-corks are impossible to find around here, unless you buy a bottle of booze with one.

I've had that problem with the Clandestine t-corks. I've had 3 bottles of it now, and all 3 had the plastic top of the t-cork pop right off in my hand after about the 3rd or 4th opening. This doesn't happen with the FG or Montmartre, which use better-made t-corks.

All t-corks are not created equal.

Add me to that list. Nearing half-way of the bottle. First out of all my bottles

Same here. I like feeling rustic and manly, but I also like to save some t-corks for use with Jade bottles. For some reason, t-corks are impossible to find around here, unless you buy a bottle of booze with one.

A couple of home-brew stores in Malmo carry them. With wooden tops but they work well. Might be good to know, Gertz...

Thanks for that info. There is only one home-brew store in Copenhagen and they don't seem to be able to squeeze the tiniest little stock of t-corks in between all the Gert Strand essences they carry.

I picked up a couple of different kinds of T-corks this last year and found the following to be best:

Kristal T-corks post-97-1138940762.jpg

Available from a variety of vendors, the last batch I got from the following source:

T-cork source: Northern Brewer

the worst cork I've ever seen was in a bottle of emile coulin

I'll second that! Drinkable absinthe, but no contest winner. The cork a sad loser...

I have had three T-corks from the Kübler break off. But the cork comes out fairly easy. If you are in a fix and cant get the cork out just bash the neck against something. Works everytime.

I am still using a T-cork that came with a bottle of absente I bought a while back. Works great.

BTW, I didn't want to begin a new post just for this question, but has anyone ever had sen-sens? They are good and very strong for the size of each individual mint. A long time ago, I bought a few packs, and I still have them.

I am still using a T-cork that came with a bottle of absente I bought a while back.  Works great.

BTW, I didn't want to begin a new post just for this question, but has anyone ever had sen-sens?  They are good and very strong for the size of each individual mint.  A long time ago, I bought a few packs, and I still have them.

I love sen-sen. They're rare to find around here but when they do turn up in a store I buy every package they get. For some reason people tell me they think they taste like soap though...

Walgreens? I will have to take a look too. I thought one could only find them online or in small stores in small towns which might have an awful large stock left.

I was always suspicious of those composite T-corks, and wondered if they didn't contribute to the VDF's apparently short shelf life, somehow.

The closest Walgreens is about 2.5 hours from here. :wacko:

WOW!!!

I'm almost envious, while at the same time feeling vindicated, because I always suspected that Wyoming was nothing but a myth! :cheers: